macbook seems to run hot since ssd installed

Reaction score
Recently installed a 250 GB OWC solid state drive replacing the original hard drive in my black macbook, it now runs faster but fan seems to always run, the bottom feels hot and I think the battery goes down quicker. I though it would maybe run cooler with no moving parts. I am concerned I might shorten computer life if too hot and don't like all the fan noise. I see others on the forum checking the temperature in their machines but I don't know how to do that. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can download the free iStat Pro dashboard widget to check temperatures. It should run cooler without the spinning drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you. SSD is running at 34 degrees, CPU at 75 - is that ok or too hot? Could the CPU have more demand on it with quicker response time of SSD (everything is running faster but I woldn't think th echip frequency would be any different)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
75°C? That's a little warm, but perfectly within limits. It might be worth opening your MacBook back up and making sure all the fan cables are connected and that they are cleaned out so they have proper air-flow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try a fan control app after you open it up and check everything. My iMac did the same thing when I installed an Ssd and ended up going back to a plain hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.