Refurb a G5 or get a 7,1 MacBook?

Reaction score
Heya there. Big fan of Apple, yet I don't own one! (gasp!). I'm in graphic design and do quite a bit of freelance work on my Asus X52F laptop with CS5 suite.

I fell in love with OS X (Tiger) when I started working in graphic design. We used PowerPC, air-cooled G-5's, and they were awesome.

...then my company got cheap and bought Dells. :Not-Amused: Luckily, my publisher let me have one of the "graveyard" G5's... for free! Catch is, it's gutted: no hard drive.

I've been sitting on it for a while, waiting for my tax refund to to spend some money on the various hardware I'd need for it, including a new hard drive. Though I've been reading up and having my doubts. Like, the consideration of how long I'd have before it becomes a dinosaur, and the amount of power it would use (I don't like high electric bills).

Now, recently, a friend of mine has offered to give me his 2010 MacBook 7,1 A1342... for $500 minimum. He'd throw in a legit copy of CS5.5 for an extra $50... which is tantalizing for me. Oh, it also has a Japanese keyboard, but that's fine. Kinda neat, actually.

My only concern is that neither machine would be that much above and beyond my current setup, though it would be nice to have a backup computer (though I would have to get another external hard drive and format it to the Mac).

So what do you think? Where should I put that money? ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My only concern is that neither machine would be that much above and beyond my current setup, though it would be nice to have a backup computer (though I would have to get another external hard drive and format it to the Mac).

So what do you think? Where should I put that money? ;)

Sorry...wrong...the 2010 MacBook is wayyy better than the Powermac G5 you have...do doubts about it. And at $500...that's a very good price as well!!!:)

Easy answer. Between a Powermac G5 and a 2010 MacBook...you want a Macintosh with an Intel cpu. The G5 does not have a G5 cpu...the MacBook does.

The Powermac G5 is at least 6-7 years old...and actually is sort of a dinosaur at this point. It doesn't have an Intel cpu (all Mac's have had Intel cpu's since 2006)...and at best...it can run OS 10.5.8.

The current latest Mac OS is 10.7.3...and OS 10.8 will be released this Summer.

Given the two choices you mentioned...the $500 2010 MacBook is what you want!:)

- Nick

p.s. You really didn't say what your "current setup" is...other than saying "current setup". Unless you were referring to the G5. And if your "current setup" is a Windows computer...you really cannot compare a "Windows setup" to a "Macintosh setup"...for the main reason they're not running the same OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
$500 for a 2 year old MacBook isn't a bad deal. If I was in the market, I'd be all over that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I was in the market, I'd be all over that.

Absolutely I would be as well...and I'm not in the market!!!:)

Actually...I'm "always" in the market...if it means a low-cost upgrade path.;)

- Nick

OP
MondoBoss
Reaction score
Sorry...wrong...the 2010 MacBook is wayyy better than the Powermac G5 you have...do doubts about it. And at $500...that's a very good price as well!!!:)

p.s. You really didn't say what your "current setup" is...other than saying "current setup". Unless you were referring to the G5. And if your "current setup" is a Windows computer...you really cannot compare a "Windows setup" to a "Macintosh setup"...for the main reason they're not running the same OS.

Yeah, I should clarify. My current setup is the Asus X52F. I can't argue about Windows vs OS X. X hands-down, even though I tolerate Windows 7 more that Vista. But this baby has a 4 GB RAM and an i3 processor, so it's a tough mudder.

Sounds like I don't want to bother with the G5 then. I wonder how much I could get for it, seeing as it has no hard drive?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah, I should clarify. My current setup is the Asus X52F. I can't argue about Windows vs OS X. X hands-down, even though I tolerate Windows 7 more that Vista. But this baby has a 4 GB RAM and an i3 processor, so it's a tough mudder.

Sounds like I don't want to bother with the G5 then. I wonder how much I could get for it, seeing as it has no hard drive?

PowerMac G5s tend to sell in the range of $150-200. Missing components, you're probably looking at the lower end of that range.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Agree with "cwa107's" G5 valuation.

@MondoBoss: IMHO...a missing hard drive is not that big of a deal to me. Of course a missing HD also means no installed OS (since there's no HD).

But this could be a BIG DEAL to less "computer savvy" folks who just want a computer to be "plug & play".

- Nick

p.s. G5's are fine to play around with (internet surfing & e-mail)...because they're pretty cheap...and as long as someone has software that is "vintage" to the computer (6-7 year old or older software). Otherwise...you don't want it.

OP
MondoBoss
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, then. My Asus is rockin' for my graphics stuff, but like I said, it'd be nice to have a backup laptop in case this one dies (though I have my stuff backed up on an external hard drive, which is formatted to the Asus. I will have to figure out that situation if I take on this MacBook).

From what I understand, MacBooks have kick-*** batteries too, no? I also write a lot of fiction, and going to parks and coffee shops with my Asus's two-hour battery is admittedly frustrating. This'll be another nice perk, if so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Clamshell 366mhz+Firewire, PowerMac G4 MDD 2003 1.25Ghz(Single), Mac LC520 25MHZ
I fell in love with OS X (Tiger) when I started working in graphic design. We used PowerPC, air-cooled G-5's, and they were awesome.
Well, If they were awesome Then and did what they were supposed to, why not get it? It's free anyway!
I use a G4 for all my graphics stuff; it works pretty well.

One thing I don't seem to understand (not just in the case of your situation, I feel this way with everything) Is how-- If it worked fine for graphics editing a few years ago... what's so different that makes it not? The MACHINE hasn't changed... sure, it can't run the newest products, but if you can find a good program, It will work in the exact same way it did at the time. (Whether that's good or not... your call)

If I were you, I would *personally* take up that Macbook [That's an INSANELY great deal for $500] and use that in tandem with the G5. It depends on your priorities, As long as you know that the G5 won't support the latest software. If you want Support with the "latest and greatest",That's where the Macbook would come in handy.

Of course; If you were to choose only ONE of the two, and you have the cash to spend, you should get the Macbook and sell the G5.

In the end: It's up to you, That's just my suggestion.

OP
MondoBoss
Reaction score
I guess I'm just thinking back to when my HP laptop died and I borrowed my friend's e-Mac and it was *useless." I couldn't do anything on the net, and all I could do for my stories was type on TextEdit.

But I see where you're coming from.

I don't got the cheese to spend, so I will probably go for the MacBook. That is, if I can get at least a couple hundred dollars for the G5.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I understand, MacBooks have kick-*** batteries too, no?

The battery runtime on 2010 MacBook with a full charge (under ideal conditions) is 10 hours. This actually is the longest claimed battery runtime of ANY (I mean ANY) Macintosh laptop Apple has EVER made. All other previous & currently available Apple notebooks max. out at 7 hours.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I don't seem to understand (not just in the case of your situation, I feel this way with everything) Is how-- If it worked fine for graphics editing a few years ago... what's so different that makes it not? The MACHINE hasn't changed... sure, it can't run the newest products, but if you can find a good program, It will work in the exact same way it did at the time. (Whether that's good or not... your call

You're right. As long as nothing changes...then the same computer, running the same software, the same OS version, working on the same files and file sizes...then that older computer should work just fine.:)

But in reality things do change:

- folks install newer versions of programs (which are more complex)
- new OS versions are installed
- the internet gets more complex (including online gaming)
- folks want to run newer and more sophisticated games
- file sizes get larger (especially photos and graphics)

...so...newer & faster computers are needed to keep up with changes in the software and internet industries. And vice-versa...when faster & more capable computers are developed...the software & internet industries develop products to take advantage of that extra computing power (which consumers eventually then find they cannot live without).

It's a two-pronged cycle that feeds off of each other.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

This especially. Look at the file size difference between iPad graphics and retina iPad graphics.

C

chas_m

Also, users get more sophisticated with time. What looked GREAT in Pagemaker a decade ago looks rubbish now, because we have more advanced programs and we've gotten more visually sophisticated.

While the 2010 MacBook battery had a claimed life of 10 hours, don't expect to get that from this battery now -- it's two years older and we don't know how well it has been maintained. BUT having said that I would think five to six hours of normal use with screen not at half brightness should be a very reasonable expectation.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While the 2010 MacBook battery had a claimed life of 10 hours, don't expect to get that from this battery now -- it's two years older and we don't know how well it has been maintained.

Yes...I agree. I was going to add that above as well. 10 hours would only be when it was brand new & under the most ideal conditions. Since it's close to a couple years old...it could have a lot of battery cycles on it.

This particular model MacBook (the 2010 MacBook)...the last one...is sort of unusual since it is the ONLY one with a quoted 10 hour battery life. While all other MacBook & MacBook Pros with the non-user swappable battery all have 7 hour quoted battery lives.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Clamshell 366mhz+Firewire, PowerMac G4 MDD 2003 1.25Ghz(Single), Mac LC520 25MHZ
You're right. As long as nothing changes...then the same computer, running the same software, the same OS version, working on the same files and file sizes...then that older computer should work just fine.:)

But in reality things do change:

- folks install newer versions of programs (which are more complex)
- new OS versions are installed
- the internet gets more complex (including online gaming)
- folks want to run newer and more sophisticated games

...so...newer & faster computers are needed to keep up with changes in the software and internet industries. And vice-versa...when faster & more capable computers are developed...the software & internet industries develop products to take advantage of that extra computing power (which consumers eventually then find they cannot live without).

It's a two-pronged cycle that feeds off of each other.

- Nick
That's 100% accurate; But If you adapt properly; there's no need.

A)Yes, You will want to use newer, more complex programs. But again, this goes back to my (some may call it idiotic) Mindset of "If it works, Don't Change it"... similar to the ideology of "If it's not broken, don't fix it"

B)New OS versions... Not really too necessary... Again- going back to my "If it works, Don't Change it"

C&D)Sure, The internet will get more Complex. Sure, Gaming will get more complex. But You don't NEED to depend on the internet 24/7. Sure, In this day and age, it seems like everyone is online all the time, but think-- Do you really NEED to use it that much?
You spoke of online gaming- for a gamer; No doubt you'll need to upgrade your machine to support the new, more sophisticated games. But for someone who may not do Gaming or Go on the internet all that much, It's not as important. Especially in the case of games; I'm perfectly content with playing games offline... you know, the way most games originally were?

E)Photo Sizes get Larger. You got me there. But does everything need to be in HD? Remember... there used to be a wonderful time... When everyone had Black and white TVs, CRT... 10 channels...
Oh wait... too far back.
Haha... I will say you got me on this one. But still; if you're not working with the Newer, HD, HQ, Video Graphics stuff, It's perfectly fine. (But who other than me is doing THAT? ...nobody? exactly.)

Of course computers are going to become more advanced, and people are going to create new programs; It's not simply because of Being more advanced, It's also because people like money.

When I said that it functioning the same "whether that's good or not, your call" because yes, technology moves on, and before you know it, the power macintosh you bought in 1996 for thousands is worth $15 and Can barely do anything a modern computer can.

But like, For example, If your a student who uses a computer for the one, sole purpose of typing up reports, you don't need to upgrade.

I know what you're thinking- "Who would use a computer Just for typing"
See, that's the thing... we've become so dependent on Machines for everything... games, Internet, Jobs, etc. You don't NEED a computer for all those things.

I guess I'm Just stuck in the past... :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm Just stuck in the past...:(

Yes...everything you said I can identify with.:) But you have to realize that all that rational works for you from your perspective.

From someone else's perspective what you said about:

- newer complex programs
- new OS versions
- time on the internet
- photo sizes
- etc.

...they might totally disagree with...because they grew up in a "different world"...with different expectations.:)

I don't know how old you are (you may even be younger than me)!;) But I'll try and give you some "change" examples that you might identify with better.

When you grew up (or were much younger) you may not have had:

- cell phones (but you probably have one now)
- cordless phones in your home (but you probably have them now)
- remote controls for your TV's (but you have them now)
- microwave ovens (but you have one now)
- automobiles when you were young may not have had (as standard equipment) power windows, air conditioning, AM/FM radio (or no radio), an automatic transmission, etc. But I bet that the car you drive now has most or all of these.

None of these things are NECESSARY...but you & I have them none-the-less! We could all survive without remote controls, cell phones, cordless phones, microwave ovens, and automobiles without automatic transmissions, air conditioning, and power windows...but we have them anyway. Heck...we could get along driving Model T Fords if we had to...or riding a darn horse to get to work!!!;)

The same thing applies to computers & computing. We could all survive using 5-10 year old computers, computer software, and old OS versions...but why should we...if there's newer stuff available that's "smarter", more efficient to use, more feature packed...and basically does things that 5-10 years ago we wish computers could do...and now they actually can do them!:)

Food for thought,:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I don't mean to be blunt, but people who adhere to the "if it works don't change it" motto should really steer well clear of technology generally, since it's about nothing BUT change. Constant amounts of small change and periodic disruptive change.

Hanging on to older technology that's well past its prime works -- at least for a while -- the simpler your needs are. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself. But most people use the platform of "what works" to raise themselves up, try new things, experiment a little. We should be so afraid of "failing" now and then, it usually leads to learning and growing.

I work with older folks than me every day and I'm delighted to see that most of them are still interested in expanding their horizons. I'm not saying a set way of working isn't productive or worthwhile, but I'd hate to think of what I'd do with myself if I ever got to a point where I was satisfied with everything. :)

OP
MondoBoss
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know I'd start a debate! Hah!

The outdated-ness definitely matters to me, as my intention for the G5 is to be a workhorse for my graphics freelance, fast Internet would be a must (I'd be sending and receiving large files), and I'd also want to run no less than CS5 on it, as that's what I have on my Asus, and I'd want things to be compatible.

Ten-hour battery life. :eek: That sells me right there, haha.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to play the waiting game and post on Craigslist, with the risk that the MacBook could get sold away. Silly me, I tried calling several computer stores, including the Apple Store, and none of them would take it—except for a little shop that estimated $20!

So Craigslist it is. I kinda want to highball it and post it for $300, but maybe that's excessive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's better to post high on Craigslist and get talked down then start low and get that, if you do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.