updating an older macbook pro

Reaction score
I have an older macbook pro at home and the operating system hasn't been updated from version 10.4.11 the disk drive is also broken, so I haven't been able to use a leopard disk to update it. Is there a way to update a newer version of OS X
without using a disk?

I've tried some downloads with no luck but im sure there has to be a way to get this old thing up to speed without using a disk, any help is appreciated!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an older macbook pro at home and the operating system hasn't been updated from version 10.4.11 the disk drive is also broken, so I haven't been able to use a leopard disk to update it. Is there a way to update a newer version of OS X
without using a disk?

Fortunately for you (with a broken disk drive...and without having to purchase an external disk drive)...you have ONLY one way to upgrade the OS. And that is to the latest OS (10.7 Lion)...assuming your MacBook Pro meets the system requirements:

- Intel Core 2 Duo cpu
- min. 2 gig of ram
- 7 gig free hard drive space

You would have to purchase OS 10.7 on a USB stick for $69:

OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. If you preferred to upgrade to Snow Leopard (OS 10.6, $29)...there is no way to do the upgrade with a broken disk drive. You would either have to get your disk drive replaced...or purchase an external CD/DVD drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz 8gbram 2011
Hi, may I ask as well if I can do a clean install of Lion on an early 2011 macbook pro that came with snow leopard? I have purchased lion and has the installer on a usb drive.

My issue is this, I have upgraded to Lion but I've had the bad luck of the hd dying on me. I've had to re-install snow leopard and then download Lion twice already. The third time I've had to replace the hard disk on advice by the apple service center here in the Philippines.

I already figured out how to save the Lion installer on a usb and I just want to know if in case this happens again if I can do the clean install with Lion and bypass snow leopard altogether.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I already figured out how to save the Lion installer on a usb and I just want to know if in case this happens again if I can do the clean install with Lion and bypass snow leopard altogether.

As far as I know...you don't need a previous OS version installed on an HD for a Lion install file on a USB stick to work.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.