Imac desktop or mac laptop for music production?

Reaction score
I have a home recording studio - And the current laptop I have just doesn't do the job for my mixing and music production. I'm looking to get a mac, but I know close to nothing about which type is better. What's the difference between purchasing a desktop and a laptop? Which one would be better for my situation? thanks! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What's the difference between purchasing a desktop and a laptop?

There is no difference between purchasing a desktop or a laptop. Either way you go to the store, hand them your credit card, and you walk home with a new computer!:)

Now if your question is "What is the difference between a desktop or a laptop?"...one VERY BIG difference is laptops are much more mobile than desktops.

Which one would be better for my situation?

I'm not really sure we can say. Either a desktop or a laptop will get the job done. The biggest difference is mobility or portability. If you need this...then you probably should get a laptop.

You also didn't say if you're familiar with Macintosh computers and the Mac OS. If not...this is potentially a MUCH bigger issue than whether you should get a desktop or a laptop.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I have a home recording studio - And the current laptop I have just doesn't do the job for my mixing and music production. I'm looking to get a mac, but I know close to nothing about which type is better. What's the difference between purchasing a desktop and a laptop? Which one would be better for my situation? thanks! :)

Hi there. I do music production myself so maybe I can help.

If you're going to go with a laptop then I would go with the Macbook Pro's over the Air's. The Macbook Pro's would be a little more future proof and I'm not sure if the Air's would have enough oomph to get the job done when running with a high track count with effects chains. Even more so when running a high number of tracks containing midi synth performances (they use even more processing power).

The Macbook Pro's are about on par with the iMac's as far as performance goes. You can upgrade the iMac to be a little more powerful than the pro's but the standard builds are on par with one-another.

If you don't need mobility then I would highly recommend you get a desktop iMac or Mac Pro (not to be confused with Macbook Pro). Screen space is really precious when running DAW's and it's really nice to have the extra 8 or 12 inches for things like effects windows, piano roll editors etc without having to tab through them.

What sequencer are you running on your PC?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.