SIRI won't send text message to one of my contacts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
This is a bit of an odd one.

I often send text messages using SIRI. It's always worked fine until this weekend. To my knowledge nothing has changed in my contacts. But now just one of my contacts no longer works when I try and text with SIRI. The same is true with asking to call this mobile number too.

I can call, iMessage and text manually OK (this contact has an iPhone 4).
But if I use SIRI 'he' just asks which email address I'd like to use or says that this contact has no mobile number. Even if I explicitly say send a text message to........ only email options are given.

With all the other contacts I've tried it works fine.

I've compared this contact with others and can see no obvious difference.

I've deleted and re-added the mobile number but no change.

I've added a dummy contact with a different name but the same mobile (just for debug purposes) and that works.

I'm wanting to just put this down to a beta bug but it's odd it's worked for so long.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
what's the name? because if it's hard for her to understand then that's obviously a problem....I'd suggest renaming the contact a sort of shortened verion or a nickname of the person instead and see how that does. It has nothing to do with their number obviously that name messes her up.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Thanks. But it's not the name.

SIRI recognises the contacts name no problem and offers up a choice of emails to send an email to rather than a text. Or says "Fred does not have a mobile number "

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
What is the "category" of the number in the contacts list? I'm wondering if it is under something other than mobile or iPhone?

I'm just putting out ideas, I don't use Siri that much so not sure what the cause would be.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies.

I've tried mobile and iPhone and both but it behaves the same for all

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After much trial and error I have found a solution.

The contact was unified from two entries. I disconnected them then re-unified them and it now works fine.

Still no clue as to why it stopped working to start with.

C

chas_m

That's a curious bug you've found. You should most definitely report that to Apple.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Already done :)
But it is odd. Got a dozen or so unified contacts that still worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.