Mac Messenger

M

Maxwell690

Hello,

Been a reader of these forums for a while now, only had cause to post a couple of times as usually I manage to find what I need in previous threads.

This is my first problem since purchasing my Mac (G4 iBook, Panther) that I've not been able to solve myself. I have downloaded Mac Messenger 5.0 but when I try to sign in it just comes up with a message saying that service is temporarily unavailable, try again later. I have of course tried again later and it still doesn't work.

Any one else having similar problems? Or know how to solve this? I have no problems signing on with the same account on my windows machine. I don't want to use a different messenger programme so suggestions of those are not needed!

Cheers

Max

OP
C

criticular

Yes, I have the exact same problem as you, and it's not an isolated problem in Panther either, because I'm running Tiger. I never bothered to solve the problem because I downloaded Adium and like the format a lot more than messenger. It has tabbed messaging and is altogether more intuitive and user-friendly. I'd reccommend just hopping on with Adium, but if you do find out how to fix the problem I'd be curious as to what it turned out to be.

OP
B

badmojo

I had the same problem with Tiger and it actually turned out to be my wireless router, for some odd reason. I switched routers and the app worked fine.

OP
C

criticular

Ahhh, yes. I'm using a wireless router, I should have mentioned that. But switching routers? Doesn't sound very economical.

It's probably just an issue of opening up some ports. This would be the windows solution, how do you get into router settings on macs?

OP
S

sandals1621

Most routers you access their settings via http or your web browser.....

i.e. netgears' default is http://192.168.0.1 you put that in and a screen comes up asking for you username and password. a quick google search for your brand (i.e. d-link router default address) or something similar should give3 you what you need to connect.
Then it's just a simple matter of opening up a browser window, putting in that address, and going into the router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.