How do you update smart playlists with live update turned off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
If I create a smart playlist in itunes and deselect live updating then how exactly does the smart playlist load up?
The reason I ask is that started setting up Smart Playlists for all of the artists on my computer and they're all set to live update which is consequently slowing down my itunes. I realize that I may not necessarily need that. My question is though...how exactly would I go about manually updating a smart playlist that has live updating turned off?

C

chas_m

And you've determined that live updating is the single factor slowing down your iTunes ... how exactly?

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
And you've determined that live updating is the single factor slowing down your iTunes ... how exactly?

When tagging files it tends to be slower then it was before since I have so many smart playlists that have live updating turned on.....each new file has to be checked against those playlists.

I pulled up a couple of articles that said the same thing about smart playlists and live updating.

Also, I should be a little bit more clear. I don't want to say that smart playlists is slowing down itunes all the time....the slowdown only occurs when I update tags on a file (as it then goes through all the smart playlists to find matches). Other than that it works perfectly fine.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone have any information?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.