Convert DMG to IMG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hello!
Here's a situation that I cant seem to figure out: I made a disk image (dmg) of a folder in Disk Utility. It is Hybrid image format. I would like to convert it to an img file for use in a virtual machine.

Some time ago, under 10.4.11 perhaps, I was able to use Terminal's hdutil convert to accomplish this. Now I get the error that convert is not a recognized verb. A search of hdutil commands shows convert is no longer listed.

Is there a work-around? I tried converting in Disk Utility, but there was no choice for an img file.

Thanks for any ideas!
Paul

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The convert option is still there for both Snow Leopard and Lion - it shows up in both man pages. What version of OS X are you using?

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello VanSmith & Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I'm using 10.6.8 I, too, see Convert listed in the man pages. I wonder why Terminal returns the "not a recognized verb" error? For insurance, I re-booted the computer & tried again. I received the same error.

Perhaps my syntax is wrong. here's what I type:
hdiutil convert /testfile.dmg -format UDTO -o /testfile.iso

The source dmg is in the root of Macintosh HD.

Thanks again for helping,
Paul

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I just tried it here and it worked without issue (I'm using Lion but I don't think that's the problem here). What might be a problem is permissions - why are you working with images in the / directory? That doesn't explain the "verb" problem but it might cause problems down the road.

Maybe for the sake of getting things done, you should just use Disk Utility to convert it. I'd be glad to help solve this but at least this will let you get the job done.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, VanSmith, for helping.
I've got it working now. I tried repairing permissions without luck. What did the trick- and I don't know why- was to force the daily, weekly & monthly maintenance scripts.

Actually, the disks aren't in the / directory. I wrote it as such in my example just to keep it concise.

My example is all goofed up. What I should have shown was the output file being saved as .img, not iso- Sorry about that. That's why I didn't use Disk Utility, as I can't figure out how to convert to img in DU.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me with this. I appreciate it.
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.