• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Jury Service

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Not only does crime not pay but justice pays.

Actually, you've got it backwards.

My jury duty netted me $16 US per day. Parking was $10, leaving $6 for lunch, if you don't take into account that I owe income tax on the $16.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

My jury duty netted me $16 US per day. Parking was $10, leaving $6 for lunch, if you don't take into account that I owe income tax on the $16.
That's better than nothing (which is what I would get for the first ten days of a trial). However, it goes up to a staggering $40/day for the following 39 days (where's that sarcasm button?) and $100/day after that (by which point you will have lost a lot of money through lost employment income).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
There have been lots of jokes made over the years about owning two cows. In matters legal the old joke is about the two headed cow with two sets of udders...the client is the two headed cow and the udders are being massaged by the lawyers/solicitors...it's usually a very slow and comfortable massage with all the trimmings.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Well I got loss of earnings here.

So that was £47.37 a day, for four days a week, plus 5 x £5.60 for travel. They also gave me £5.71 a day for food allowance. not bad I suppose, but I think I'm on the wrong tax code, so Mr Cameron will be getting 20% of that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't mean to imply that I had any money left over by calling it "net". That's before expenditures.

Reaction score
I got called once and I just acted really biased during selection, didn't get called luckily.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
So in the end they only paid me for one week (and it was a week late... ) Kind of annoying but hey **, at least i got paid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got called once and I just acted really biased during selection, didn't get called luckily.

When you're the defendant, I'll act really open minded in the selection process, and then when I get picked, I'll nail ya! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Jury service, regardless of financial hardship, is sort of a requirement for a free and open judicial process. The idea of professional jurists sounds a bit disturbing to me. Though, in my experience, lawyers generally try to get the dumbest shrubs they can find to serve during the selection process. It's not exactly a "jury of one's peers", but better than some of the alternatives.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
From what I understand, in PA only registered voters are called. But despite my wife and I having been registered since the time we turned 18 (16 years ago), neither of us have never been called.

I've always been interested in the whole process, but for some reason only our friends seem to get called.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in my experience, lawyers generally try to get the dumbest shrubs they can find to serve during the selection process.

YMMV.
I've been selected every time I made it from the jury room to the court room. I only have a Master's degree, but the one time that I was chosen as foreman, I believe there was a woman with a PhD on our jury as well. Of course, on the same jury there was another woman who didn't seem to have her brain turned on all the time.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt intelligence has anything to do with it - "educated" people can be idiots and non-educated people can be brilliant. Trust me, I've seen both. ;)

Only a master's degree? Don't sell yourself short - that's more formal education than a majority of the population.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I amend my previous post to go more along the lines of lawyers selecting those who fit their notion of being most readily influenced by speech and presentation, often to the detriment of critical thinking and examination of facts. My apologies in implying that jurists were selected based on relative stupidity as that was a rather broad statement. Clearly this is not always the case. My experience has been mainly with violent, felony and drug related criminal prosecutions. In the majority of those, the jurists seemed to be those who stated that they had free time, didn't know what was going on in the world, would willingly accept an follow a narrative and had little experience and/or interest with anything of a complex nature. Again not always the case.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...didn't know what was going on in the world, would willingly accept an follow a narrative and had little experience and/or interest with anything of a complex nature. Again not always the case.
It's scary - I find that this segment of the general population is slowly getting larger despite the increasing pervasiveness of Internet connected devices. But, that's a topic for another day. ;)

Like I said earlier, I've never been called which is a shame because it might be kind of interesting. That's definitely a personal opinion for I can see how it would be a pain for others. As an example, I can imagine that parents (and maybe more so a single parent) would find it bothersome since no child care expenses are provided nor are parking expenses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.