Phones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Does anybody have some very good advice on which phone I should look at. I am with Cingular and I really like Sony Ericsson's but Im also looking at Motorolla.. I just have no idea which to go for. Im so very confused ack! :) So far I've been looking at the RAZR v3 and the w600, but Im sure there are some better ones out there.. It would be cool if it had an mp3 player.. not necessary though.. Thoughts? ideas?

F

Fallooza

Just happens that i ordered this phone on Sun. It has a bunch of features, i think it has most of the ones you listed.this

Reaction score
I use a Sony Ericcson K750i.

Great phone, has full iSync functionality via Bluetooth, Address Book and iCal integration etc. Can use it as an external modem again via bluetooth, either normal dial up or GPRS.

With the included USB Cable a Mac treats the phone like an external hard drive/Photo Card Reader. Links in with iPhoto to extract photographs from the phone, which is great.

You can also use it as a Bluetooth Remote Control for your mac, if that sort of thing rocks your world. Plus a load of other useful utilities that aid usability. One utility allows you to link the phone directly to iTunes. Who needs a ROKR phone?

Top phone, with excellent Mac integration.

If you use a mac you should use a sony ericcson phone. IMHO

Tris...

L

lil

I'm not a phone person, I have only just replaced my 5-6 year old Nokia 3310 (I kept it in case) with a new phone. NEC n343i.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nec_n343i-1174.php

It's not the most amazing spec phone, but it's easy to use and small, something my 3310 was 5 years ago but isn't now!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've always been a big fan of Moto and I currently have the V3 which is a great phone! I don't know how soon you need the phone but I know Moto is working on an upgrade to the V3 that will have iTunes as well.

The V3 though is stylish, feels very sturdy especially given how thin it is, and has great reception. I can also sync it via Bluetooth using iSync.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None of those phones mentioned are for Cingular. Tell me more schweb.. anywhere that I can check on the specs or is it still in the rumor mill? I would definitely be up for the Moto V3.. and right now I could get that plus $80 back.. so if they do come out with a new version it will be awhile before I can get it for a better price... although I could be wrong :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know it's still "rumor mill" and now that Moto has changed their product release philosophy to not reveal phones until they're shipping I'm not sure when we'll get more info. I've seen a few pictures and things floating around the net though.

The RAZR is definitely a great buy with the $80 off, I'd go for that. Because you're right, even if the iTunes RAZR comes out tomorrow, you'll be paying way too much for it for at least 6 months or more.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Allright.. well so far that means that I am leaning towards the RAZR.. and you said that it syncs with iSync right? That was one of my concerns... Does anybody have any experience with both the RAZR v3 and the Ericsson w600?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep the RAZR will sync over Bluetooth via iSync with 10.4 and above.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it sync calendars also.. and have alarms/alerts for calendar items? ok it has an alarm which I definitely need.. bluetooth, hmm...

I am looking at this rebate
http://www.buy.com/prod/Motorola_RA...ireless/q/loc/12435/160001500.html?adid=17662

It says no speed dial? No MMS? No big deal if not :) No way of playing tunes? No ringer profiles so that one person can have a different ring than another? or groups with different ringers? What kind of utilities does it have? For example my t68i has Calendar, Notes, Alarms, Timer, Stopwatch, Calculator and Code memo. If you can have a MP3 as a ringtone.. how many ringtones can you have installed on the phone? What kind of battery life do you get in real world use?

That should do it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
Does it sync calendars also.. and have alarms/alerts for calendar items? ok it has an alarm which I definitely need.. bluetooth, hmm...

I am looking at this rebate
http://www.buy.com/prod/Motorola_RAZR_V3_Camera_Phone_Cingular_Wireless/q/loc/12435/160001500.html?adid=17662

It says no speed dial? No MMS? No big deal if not :) No way of playing tunes? No ringer profiles so that one person can have a different ring than another? or groups with different ringers? What kind of utilities does it have? For example my t68i has Calendar, Notes, Alarms, Timer, Stopwatch, Calculator and Code memo. If you can have a MP3 as a ringtone.. how many ringtones can you have installed on the phone? What kind of battery life do you get in real world use?

That should do it :)

Yep it will sync calendar and contacts with alarms, etc. As for speed dial, I've never used it on any phone I've had but I would be shocked if it didn't. It allows you to have different ringers for different groups. So for example I can have a "Family", "Friends", "Work", etc (you create whatever groups you want) and I can create different ring profiles for each group. That has been a pretty standard Moto feature for a few years (on my V600 I could have the light ring on the outside change color depending on the group :) ).

You can use MP3s for ringtones. I believe there's maybe 3 or 4 mb of space (I can't remember off hand). I use MP3Trimmer to cut the MP3s down to 30 second segments and I re-encode them at a lower bit rate and mono so they take up less space. Normally I only have to charge my phone every other day.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome I miss groups :) What about utilities? Im practically sold! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd check out the sonyericsson website - you can try an interactive version of their phones there...
I recently got the SE K750i as well:
Supports syncing, address book sms sending, acts as a bluetooth modem, automatically imports photos with iPhoto and there's a cool iTunes plugin that'll let you sync directly from there.

The W600 should support all of this as well.
Just make sure your bluetooth isn't crippled by the carrier (some cripple photo & music transfer over bluetooth).

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only ericsson's that Cingular sells are the W600i and the Z520a, but the Z520a does not seem as nice as the W600

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
I see that the V3 has had a lot of praise her but I have had a number of people tell me that its not good at all. Apparently (I donno if your into it) but the camera is very poor indeed and it lacks in functions, there has been no advance in it from previous Motorola’s.

I have a V635, which has the same interface as the V3, and the HCI is not impressive at all. This is the one thing that let me down with my phone.

Have a look at the V635 though, it does more than the V3. The V635 has a memory card slot in it (its a really small memory stick) so you can upgrade the memory to like 512mb. It comes with 16 mb (which is plenty really) this allows you to be able to back up files and carry them around with you. Which is a really really good function!

Someone mentioned that there is going to be an update in the V3 why don't you just wait for that? Are you really desperate for a new phone?

My brother has a Sony Erickson K700i and its really cool. I kind of wished that I’d gone for it. There are a lot of new Sony’s out there as well which do so much more than the K700i. I’m pretty sure you can have Sony’s with changeable memory. (Honestly it’s such a great function!)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cingular offers me these bluetooth phones:

MOTOROLLA RAZR V3 (Silver and Black)
MOTOROLLA V557
MOTOROLLA ROKR E1
MOTOROLLA MPx220
SONY ERICSSON W600i
SAMSUNG D307

Lot's of blackberries and and one Treo, but do not want one of those.. so the above is really all I have to pick from...

And yeah Im needing one soon since either A) I need to get a new battery for my phone $20, or B) Get something like the RAZR v3 for free plus $80 back, plus a new plan.

I currently I have a really great plan, and the plan I would go to is definitely not as good and cost just the same.. I would really like a new phone though, although ugh.. Im a bit torn :)

Ok current plan:
$99 unlimited minutes, all incoming text messages are free

New plan:
$99 2000 anytime rollover minutes, free nights and weekends, .10 per text message

Im really thankful that I am talking this out with everyone :) You're really helping me brainstorm and do my homework :) I didn't realize that a new battery is $20.. I thought it would be more, so that is tempting to do.. hehe well if I buy the new battery I will continue to not have to worry about minutes which is very nice as a small business and who knows how long I will be on the phone per month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
The RAZR would definately be a good investment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must be former AT&T Wireless also! To be honest the only reason I don't switch to a Cingular plan is losing the free incoming txt messages. For me though it's an easier choice since my company had a contract with ATTWS so I can deal with NBO and still get phones (like the RAZR) that work with my ATTWS account.

In your case, you'll eventually need to switch to Cingular's plans once your phone totally dies. 2000 anytime and unlimited N&W is pretty close to unlimited anytime unless you're on the phone almost 24/7 lol. The question is do you get alot of incoming txt messages?

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I am! and Yes I do :) I get all types of alerts to my phone.. that is the biggest thing holding me back since it would end up being more expensive due to all those text messages. When I am away from my computer then I have my business emails forwarded to my text message email address, so I get those also.. it could get expensive.. I was thinking, when i do switch, then I will see if I can get them to give me free text messages :) So is there a way that I could change my phone while staying on the same plan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming you have a GSM phone now. If you get yourself an unlocked GSM phone, any phone will work. You just need to change the SIM chip. You might also check eBay for phones.

But unless your a NBO customer I don't think you can get ATTWS phones from Cingular anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.