How can Finder searches only bring up file names that match the term in Lion?

Reaction score
I switched to Lion and still feel like i dont understand the Finder. It's annoying.

The one thing i really want to do is simply enter a term in the search box and have only appear files whose names contain what i've written. How can i change Finder so it does that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
In the finder press  F

That will bring up a more customised search, select name, and either matches or contains to limit searches to filenames

Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 09.06.48.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
Prior to Lion my Finder defaulted to search filenames only

There was a button which could change it to search the contents of a file, which I rarely, if ever, used. Now there are no such buttons in the finder. How can I get them back, or simply change the default to search filenames only? Having to create a customized search every time is cumbersome and inefficient.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Until I figure out how to get that behavior back the following should help. In the Spotlight window type name:name of file. Where name of file is the name of the file you are looking for. This example shows it in a Finder window but it also works in the Spotlight search box OS X Secret Spotlight/Search Syntax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
Thanks Slydude that does help

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Glad to help. If that's a search that you do often it's possible to save the search and re-open it as needed. Then the only thing that you would need to change is the name of the files that you are searching for.

Basically you save the search as a Smart Folder and place the folder in the sidebar of a Finder window. The next time you need to change the filename for the search right click that folder and modify the search criteria. ATPM 16.03 - How To: Making Your Mac as Smart as Its Owner

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.