Time Machine won't back up

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've lurked for a while and now I have a question for all you experts:

Short question: Each time I try to backup to Time Machine I get an error message:

"The backup was not performed because an error occurred while copying files to the backup disk."

The disk was recently formatted and passes the verification in Disk Utility. What's up?

Long Story:

Ah, the saga. First, the basics: MBP 15" 2011, 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 SSD, running the latest version of Lion. I’m a very experienced computer user, but this is my first Mac.

Four days ago I got an error message from Outlook for Mac 2011 that it needed to rebuild my Identity. So I did, but it didn’t seem to work because Outlook asked to do it again. And again. I ran the repair disk utility and verify disk as well, then ran the Identity rebuild again. Still no luck. I ran verify one more time, and then suddenly I see that my disk was reporting only about 6GB used.

ARRRGH! Dead disk? Really? A six-month old Crucial M4? So I tried a reformat. Worked fine. I tried the verify disk utility. Fine. What they hey, let’s just reinstall OSX from the utility that appears when I start OSX with Cmd-R. That went fine. Restored programs and data from my external Time Machine drive. That went fine. MBP then is working fine. Even Outlook worked fine.

I’m mystified and PO’d that I’ve lost a few hours. But at least my MBP is working fine, my Time Machine drive is working fine, and everything is disk-verified and happy.

Next day: MBP is working without error. I plug in my disk I use with Time Machine, a WD 500 Scorpio Blue. It won’t back up. I run verify disk. At this point I notice that I’ve lost all data in Time Machine. Worse yet, the WD 500 has two partitions and I lost everything on the other partition too. I’m pulling my hair out and completely mystified. The Scorpio Blues are just about the most reliable disks around. Plus, what are the odds of this happening to two disks on two days? Virus?

So I reformat the WD 500, partition, and set the first partition for Time Machine again. I get the message that there is a TM error (above). So I’ve run disk utility – everything is OK. I copy a bunch of files to the disk to try it. I can read and write fine. Run disk utility again, everything verifies. But I still get the error after a half-dozen tries at TM.

Perhaps a related problem: Spotlight keeps re-indexing, over and over. Basically it never stops. This is true whether the external disk is plugged in or not.

Does anyone have suggestions about these symptoms? Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.