Fiber Optic Patch Cable for AppleTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting the new AppleTV 3 which can play 1080p video and I'm wondering if a fiber optic patch cable would have any advantage over connecting my Airport Extreme to my modem with regular ethernet cables. I need a new one anyway since mine is shredded AND it is going to be a 50ft cable that runs into another room. A friend of mine sometimes gets jerky playback when he streams HD video with his AppleTV 2 even though he has high speed internet.

I'm new here and I looked around for a while to see if this was discussed yet. Apologies if I've made a redundant thread or if this is the wrong place to ask the question - it seems inevitable with my luck though (>_<). If anyone can tell me whether or not a fiber optic cable would make a difference for streaming huge HD files, I'd really appreciate it.

Best,

Joe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The advantage in using a fiber optic cable over a standard one is it's virtually lossless. In other words, you can run fiber over long distances without loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Aren't the fiber connections on the Atv just TOS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Aren't the fiber connections on the Atv just TOS?

Yes, they are. The OP may be spending money for a fiber cable and not getting the full benefit.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll stick with a regular ethernet patch for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.