• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Xbox '720' vs. 'PS4'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, iPhone 4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'll be holding on to my PS3 for a long time. That's what I think.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
LOL I just got my PS3. Not upgrading any time soon. :D

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, iPhone 4
Lol well for one thing they probably wont be released until 2015. And even then I'll probably wait at least a year for them to work out any kinks( like 360's when it first came out)
Pretty crappy with the whole no more trade ins lol but I guess they have to increase their profits and what not..$70 is just too much to buy new games all the time though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Pretty crappy with the whole no more trade ins

That's particularly the reason why I have no interest in them, unless they drop the prices significantly, or if these rumors end up being false. In my opinion, part of an items worth is its resale value. Remove that resale value, and your just left with a worthless game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Reaction score
I just got my Xbox, it'll be awhile till i buy a new system. I'm a little hesitant with the next gen systems; the Wii U does look interesting though. Minecraft X360 will keep me very busy, it comes out at midnight - i can't wait...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Couldnt even fathom getting interested in a console that is still 3+ yrs away.
Be keeping my 360 for a while yet me thinks.

On the OP i would go for the 720 if and when it came down to it. Still like the feel of 360 games more so thn PS3 so i know where my money will go.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'll probably stick with Microsoft. Only a few PS3 exclusive titles interested me, but the 360's exclusives are /were much higher on my play list. Much rather have Forza over GT4.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Lol well for one thing they probably wont be released until 2015.

I'm sure things will be better than Diablo III. Wikipedia quote:

"Development on Diablo III began in 2001 when Blizzard North was still in operation."

Development began 2001...released date May, 2012...this better be GOOD!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I'll be sticking with my 360 until they discontinue Live for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

Might be released earlier.

I lied. I love the Sony Playstation too much to not get it on release day. I can't believe I never noticed this, but I've had every generation(revision one models) right from release date, along with the PSP and PSVita. I would be breaking my record of consistency if I don't get the new PS4....and you all know how much I love consistency:D It's why I love my Mac computers.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As much gaming as I do any longer, I should sell my PS3. Think I have the last version that still had the hardware capability to still play all the previous games - so it's several years old. Haven't even played the last 2 games I bought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the rumors of always connected and no used games come true, then I'll be skipping both and probably saving the funds to build a decent gaming PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Just got my 360 for Christmas, so quite disappointed that it will be out of date so quickly, then again, it seems I'm always behind the times....

This caught my eye: "Will Microsoft kill the second-hand games market?

There have been rumours cicrulating that the new Xbox console will feature a system aimed at preventing owners playing used games. That would mean no trading-in of old titles in order to fund the purchase of new ones - a move that would not be warmly received by gamers or highstreet store.

The rumors center around the concept of the new Xbox demanding an always-on internet connection. That sounds like a horrifying idea to us – say it ain't so!
"

If that happens, it will literally, without a doubt, murder the Xbox name and Microsoft's console market share.

Reaction score
Microsoft has also rumor the possibilities of two Xbox console versions being release this year, hardcore and a casual console. Maybe the casual console is like the light version, no disc drive making it a must for internet connection. It all sounds lame, but exciting none the less. :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Just got my 360 for Christmas, so quite disappointed that it will be out of date so quickly, then again, it seems I'm always behind the times....

This caught my eye: "Will Microsoft kill the second-hand games market?

There have been rumours cicrulating that the new Xbox console will feature a system aimed at preventing owners playing used games. That would mean no trading-in of old titles in order to fund the purchase of new ones - a move that would not be warmly received by gamers or highstreet store.

The rumors center around the concept of the new Xbox demanding an always-on internet connection. That sounds like a horrifying idea to us – say it ain't so!
"

If that happens, it will literally, without a doubt, murder the Xbox name and Microsoft's console market share.

We don't know enough to truly evaluate this situation. People automatically assume that new games will continue to be $60. There is absolutely no way the gaming community will let that fly(for this download-only game rumor). The gaming industry has a tough time as is because people buy into the used market as much, or even more than the new market(keep in mind, a new game can only be sold as new once, unlike a used game). What does make sense, when referencing this new online/new only games, is a slash in price that would make used games not worth it to begin with. Online downloads of future games will drastically reduce the cost of producing games. Because of that, if this rumor is even true, they HAVE to lower game prices, or they will drive themselves out of business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
We don't know enough to truly evaluate this situation. People automatically assume that new games will continue to be $60. There is absolutely no way the gaming community will let that fly(for this download-only game rumor). The gaming industry has a tough time as is because people buy into the used market as much, or even more than the new market(keep in mind, a new game can only be sold as new once, unlike a used game). What does make sense, when referencing this new online/new only games, is a slash in price that would make used games not worth it to begin with. Online downloads of future games will drastically reduce the cost of producing games. Because of that, if this rumor is even true, they HAVE to lower game prices, or they will drive themselves out of business.

Yes, they would have to lower prices. But by going that route, aren't they going to just be competing with Steam? And let's be honest, if I have to start downloading all of my games from a console, with an internet connection, and have to always have xbox live to play anything offline or online, I think I'll just go the PC + Steam route as well. Sony and Microsoft won't be able to compete in the online-only games market, they have no foothold to start from and it's too late to start now. The only reason consoles are still really popular anyway is their simplicity, plug and play, and a huge variety of games. (Well at least in my opinion) remove that simplicity with requirements, no used games, no PHYSICAL COPIES to actually have (which I enjoy, I'd like to display my collection, not keep it on a hard drive which could possibly fail)

Which is another point, Microsoft would have to keep some kind of absolutely massive free back-up for people and all of their games. Hard drives do and will fail, leaving all of your games gone with nothing. (And even then, I can just imagine trying to restore a back-up with 100GB of games...would take 4 days for me)

The way I see it, it would just be a gimmick and I certainly would not buy into if it does even prove to be true. I'll stick to my discs thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yes, they would have to lower prices. But by going that route, aren't they going to just be competing with Steam? And let's be honest, if I have to start downloading all of my games from a console, with an internet connection, and have to always have xbox live to play anything offline or online, I think I'll just go the PC + Steam route as well. Sony and Microsoft won't be able to compete in the online-only games market, they have no foothold to start from and it's too late to start now. The only reason consoles are still really popular anyway is their simplicity, plug and play, and a huge variety of games. (Well at least in my opinion) remove that simplicity with requirements, no used games, no PHYSICAL COPIES to actually have (which I enjoy, I'd like to display my collection, not keep it on a hard drive which could possibly fail)

Which is another point, Microsoft would have to keep some kind of absolutely massive free back-up for people and all of their games. Hard drives do and will fail, leaving all of your games gone with nothing. (And even then, I can just imagine trying to restore a back-up with 100GB of games...would take 4 days for me)

From the rumors I have been reading, the only difference will be that you do not have a physical copy of the game. There won't be a change to local/on-line gaming. I've never seen an advantage to Xbox-Live, so it's useless for me.
Restoring 100gb's should not take 4 days:) unless your hdd is running at only 500rpm. The last time I had to restore my PS3's drive was when I upgraded it, and restoring 130+gb's of stuff took less than 30 minutes from a 5400 to a 7200rpm drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the rumors I have been reading, the only difference will be that you do not have a physical copy of the game. There won't be a change to local/on-line gaming. I've never seen an advantage to Xbox-Live, so it's useless for me.
Restoring 100gb's should not take 4 days:) unless your hdd is running at only 500rpm. The last time I had to restore my PS3's drive was when I upgraded it, and restoring 130+gb's of stuff took less than 30 minutes from a 5400 to a 7200rpm drive.

You can't restore a Xbox hard drive like that. If your Xbox hard drive fails, you have to purchase a new Xbox hard drive because Microsoft puts in in a proprietary shell and I believe with custom firmware, and then download everything from Live again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.