G4 iMac (800mhz) - No power

Reaction score
Hey all. I have an old 800mhz G4 iMac downstairs. Its been dead for some time now. Story is that I moved house and lost the power lead for it. Found a black lead which looked identical so tried to use that. Since then it's been totally dead, even using an official mac power lead.

It's an old comp, but wouldn't mind breathing some life back into it. Is there anything which I might be able to try to save it without spending money on a new powersupply. Haven't opened it up yet, but if anyone's got any bright ideas of a simple fix would be much appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas bright ideas cost money!

Have you tried booting with a compatible mains power lead since?

OP
H
Reaction score
Yeah, no joy with a compatible lead either. I'm assuming the mac doesn't have an integral fuse or something? Perhaps a blown capacitor?

I'd love to have some idea what might have gone so that maybe I can just replace that. I don't have such a good technical knowledge of these things, but I can test a current and replace a capacitor if I have to.

I brought the mac cheap some time ago, and its a neat little thing for playing music on, and having a useable machine sat there just for doing simple surfing and stuff on :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a look at the power supply. There could well be a fuse in there that has blown.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just an update: FIXED! :)

Ok I originally posted before doing any real trouble shooting and assumed the worst - that something had fried and wondering if anyone new what parts might be likely to fry first on the power supply.

The cause seems to be that because it was left unplugged for too long and the 1/2AA CMOS battery had died, preventing it from booting. Took the battery out and it booted first time.

New battery on order for £2.75 and happy days. The machine's only ever going to be used for playing music and maybe occasionally surfing the net, so £2.75 seems like a worthy investment :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Hey guys. Just an update: FIXED! :)

Ok I originally posted before doing any real trouble shooting and assumed the worst - that something had fried and wondering if anyone new what parts might be likely to fry first on the power supply.

The cause seems to be that because it was left unplugged for too long and the 1/2AA CMOS battery had died, preventing it from booting. Took the battery out and it booted first time.

New battery on order for £2.75 and happy days. The machine's only ever going to be used for playing music and maybe occasionally surfing the net, so £2.75 seems like a worthy investment :D

WOW! Very lucky fix indeed, the battery has been dead in my G4 iMac for years, never had an issue except the date would reset when it got unplugged. :)

Enjoy your iMac!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.