MacBook Pro no longer connects to TV via HDMI

Reaction score
Hi, we used to be able to connect our MacBook Pro to our TV via the HDMI port.

A few days ago my husband took it into work to use for a presentation there, plugged it into some projector-control console type thing there (sorry, I don't have any further details of what it was), and now it no longer works at home - when we plug it in, the Mac's screen appears briefly on the TV but then flickers, scrambles and then disappears within a few seconds. It looks almost as if it's a faulty connection, but plugging another mac into the same lead works perfectly. Also, if we change the display settings to 480p resolution, it does work, but looks a bit weird.

This is a 13" 2011 MBP, 2.3GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB memory, running Lion 10.7.3.

Any thoughts gratefully received. All backed up - do you think if we were to roll-back to pre all this it would fix it? If so, any help / tips on how to do it would also be great.

Thanks,

Ally

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello!

You might have already done this, but try keeping the HDMI connection and restarting the Mac. I had to do this once with my TV and it fixed the problem (hasn't showed up again).

Other than that, have you tried clicking "detect displays" under the display options. I've had to do this a few times with older monitors at work.

Take care,
Code

Reaction score
Screen sharing Stop Working

Hi, we used to be able to connect our MacBook Pro to our TV via the HDMI port.

A few days ago my husband took it into work to use for a presentation there, plugged it into some projector-control console type thing there (sorry, I don't have any further details of what it was), and now it no longer works at home - when we plug it in, the Mac's screen appears briefly on the TV but then flickers, scrambles and then disappears within a few seconds. It looks almost as if it's a faulty connection, but plugging another mac into the same lead works perfectly. Also, if we change the display settings to 480p resolution, it does work, but looks a bit weird.

This is a 13" 2011 MBP, 2.3GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB memory, running Lion 10.7.3.

Any thoughts gratefully received. All backed up - do you think if we were to roll-back to pre all this it would fix it? If so, any help / tips on how to do it would also be great.

Thanks,

Ally

Hi,

I am having the same issue...For no reason the screen sharing stop working from my MAcbook pro to my Samsung TV, it was working fine for years and I did not do any updates or anything but it stoped working...

Did you find a solution?

Reaction score
Did anyone manage to fix this problem?

The exact same thing started happening to me last week, I've tried replacing the HDMI cable and Mini DisplayPort, nothing works.

I also tried turning it off while the cable is attached and TV on - didn't change anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try booting into Safe mode - let it boot all the way up, then reboot normally.

OP
A
Reaction score
Found our problem!

Hi, it turned out that it was the little white "Moshi" adaptor that connects the Macs to the HDMI lead. What confused us was that it was working intermittently - so for a while it worked fine on mine but not my husband's machine, which meant that we excluded it as a possible cause of trouble. Eventually though it stopped working altogether - confirmed by a visit to our local Apple Store who couldn't get it to work either. A new one - they replaced it for free - hooray - means everything now works perfectly.

Ally

Reaction score
Hi, sorry it took so long to reply.

After I replaced the HDMI cable I thought it might be the adaptor, so I replaced that too. When I use my first adaptor, the blue screen comes up and then theres the option in the menubar to turn mirroring on, when I use my new one I don't even get that option after the blue screen. Neither of them were made by 'Moshi', so I'm not sure if thats the problem.

I'm thinking now it might be something to do with the Thunderbolt port, has anyone had any problems with that?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your next troubleshooting step is going to be trying it on another TV &/or take it in to your nearest Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (Mid 2012) Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Upgrading to 16GB.
Time to Buy a Apple TV I think .. no need for the cables.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.