Macintosh 512K help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh: i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, EVGA GTX 660 2GB
I have a Macintosh 512K that still functions to this day, but what doesn't function, is the keyboard. I was wondering how I could test if the problem is the logic board or the keyboard. I believe there is power running through it because the keyboard gets warm on the space bar. But I cannot type! :[

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My first thought is...I think that there's almost no way that the keyboards space bar is getting warm.

There's really not enough electricity flowing thru the 512's keyboard cable to make anything warm...and if we were to disassemble the keyboard...you would see that the spacebar itself is so far removed from any electronics (or heat source) that something inside the keyboard would have to be REALLY overheating to get the spacebar warm.

These keyboards are VERY very simple in design...there just isn't much in there to make things warm. But maybe I'm wrong...you're certainly right there experiencing things.:)

In any case...if the computer is working fine...then the problem probably isn't the logic board (and you don't want it to be)...since there's very little chance of you getting a replacement logic board at this point 27-28 years later.

Most likely (if nothing on the keyboard is working)...the keyboard cable or the keyboard itself may have gone bad...and these two things would be a much better place to start in terms of troubleshooting. Of course you will need parts...gotta check out e-Bay...for folks selling old (but still working keyboard cables & keyboards).

Don't be too shocked when you see the prices!!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Mac 512 is like the first Mac and uses a Telephone like cord that plugs into the front. Those cables after years of use often fail. They are wired differently than a telephone handset cord though. There is a wiring diagram somewhere on the net. Will see if I can find it for you and post back.

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first thought is...I think that there's almost no way that the keyboards space bar is getting warm.

There's really not enough electricity flowing thru the 512's keyboard cable to make anything warm...and if we were to disassemble the keyboard...you would see that the spacebar itself is so far removed from any electronics (or heat source) that something inside the keyboard would have to be REALLY overheating to get the spacebar warm.

These keyboards are VERY very simple in design...there just isn't much in there to make things warm. But maybe I'm wrong...you're certainly right there experiencing things.:)

In any case...if the computer is working fine...then the problem probably isn't the logic board (and you don't want it to be)...since there's very little chance of you getting a replacement logic board at this point 27-28 years later.

Most likely (if nothing on the keyboard is working)...the keyboard cable or the keyboard itself may have gone bad...and these two things would be a much better place to start in terms of troubleshooting. Of course you will need parts...gotta check out e-Bay...for folks selling old (but still working keyboard cables & keyboards).

- Nick

Nick, I have opened up the keyboard and saw that there is a little bump in the center of this long chip underneath the spacebar. It also looks like some sort of liquid is was once on the sticker over the chip. (The bump is also under the sticker.) If you need a photo, I can send it.

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HEY!!! Does this mean anything>

- Nick

Hey Nick, I just realized something, I am using a Macintosh Plus keyboard (Model number M0110A) with a Macintosh 512k (keyboard model number M0110). Would that have any affect over the keyboard operating?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would that have any affect over the keyboard operating?

I don't think so. The keyboards for the very early (compact "All-In-One" Mac's) were essentially the same from Mac 128k thru the Mac Plus.

And if this is the keyboard you have been using (successfully up to this point)...then that would also indicate that it was ok to use with a Mac 512.

It sounds like it's probably the cable (since nothing is working). If some keys were working & some not...then it would probably be the keyboard. And the last (and most undesirable option) would be something wrong with the logic board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I have opened up the keyboard and saw that there is a little bump in the center of this long chip underneath the spacebar. It also looks like some sort of liquid is was once on the sticker over the chip. (The bump is also under the sticker.) If you need a photo, I can send it.

Does this "little bump" look like it's not supposed to be there? If so, then that could be a problem.

- Nick

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I will send a photo. I am not sure if it should be there or not. And no, I bought this computer off ebay last year and the keyboard hasn't worked since. I plugged the keyboard in just now and fired up the Macintosh and after about a minute or two of idle, I felt the spacebar and it did not feel room temperature. It felt a little hotter. Anywho, here is the photo:

Pictures by cburk01 - Photobucket

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I will send a photo. I am not sure if it should be there or not.

Thanks for the photos...they always help.:)

And no, I bought this computer off ebay last year and the keyboard hasn't worked since.

I see. When you mentioned(in post #1)..."I have a Macintosh 512K that still functions to this day..."...I though you meant that it WAS working 100%...and only recently the keyboard stopped working.

I plugged the keyboard in just now and fired up the Macintosh and after about a minute or two of idle, I felt the spacebar and it did not feel room temperature. It felt a little hotter.

Yes...that chip under the space bar is pretty sizable...and I could see how if it was over-heating...that the spacebar could warmup. That "bump" looks (where the label is on the chip) a little brown & slightly "burnt" looking...like some serious heat buildup is or has been taking place. So I would say that the "bump" is not a "good thing" and shouldn't be there.

So here are a few possibilities:

1. The keyboard could be bad (I mean due to that burn-mark/bump...it is bad)...but the keyboard may or may not be the source of the problem.
2. The keyboard cable could be bad.
3. This theory is a bit more complex (see below).

Like "dtravis7" mentioned above. The keyboard cable looks like an old coiled telephone cord. Original keyboard cords for these old Mac's are somewhat hard to find (if someone needs one)...and if you do find them (e-Bay) that can be expensive (for what they are).

So what can be done is...if someone has an old telephone cord...it can be modified to work with the keyboard/computer on these old Mac's. The plug connectors (on old phone cords) are the same as the original keyboard cable for the Mac...but the 4 wires in the cord need to be reversed to work with a Mac.

So long story short (for idea #3). If your keyboard cord looks like it has been "fiddled" with...someone may have tried to substitute an old phone cord for the original keyboard cable...did a bad job of modifying it..and this caused the problem. OR...someone literally substituted an "unmodified" old phone cord (not realizing it needed to be modified first)...and this is what destroyed (so to speak) the keyboard.

Thanks again for the photos!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to add. I just took apart one of my OLD Mac 128/Mac 512/Mac Plus keyboards (model M0110A)...and that "bump" is NOT present on the large chip below the space bar.

So the "bump" (and what looks like a burn/brown mark)...probably shouldn't be there.

- Nick

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Thank you so so much for the information. Could you send me a photo of what your keyboard cable looks like? Now come to think of it, this cable I have is about two times the size of the Mac Plus keyboard itself and is one third straight, and roughly two thirds curled.

- John

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Thank you so so much for the information. Could you send me a photo of what your keyboard cable looks like? Now come to think of it, this cable I have is about two times the size of the Mac Plus keyboard itself and is one third straight, and roughly two thirds curled.

- John

No problem. Yes that cord that you describe sounds like a "regular" old coiled/curled telephone cord. The computer keyboard cord we're talking about...has no straight section (it's all coiled/curled).

Believe it or not...I bought 4 of them a couple months ago from a guy on e-Bay (I needed multiple). Total length of the cord (not stretched) is 12" (about 3.5" shorter than the total width of the keyboard...15.5"). This does not include the stubby straight parts with the connector on it.

I posted a thread here on Mac-Forums about it...and here's the photo I had with the post:

MacPluscords.jpg

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Syrinx Homepage - Mac Plus Keyboard Cable

Like I thought the wiring at one end of a standard telephone handset cord is backwards on one end and will reverse the polarity of the 5-Volts and probably blow the keyboard.

BTW, A Plus keyboard will work just fine. I use one here on my 512 and Plus.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought a new keyboard!

O.K. so I found a nice $50 keyboard (not $140 like others) and was wondering if I had the right cable. The product description said an RJ11 keyboard connecter. Is that what I need? I don't know if you can see the product description like I can but here is an ebay link:

Apple iMac Mac keyboard Model M0110A Excellent | eBay

(UPDATE: yes scroll down you can see the description.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
O.K. so I found a nice $50 keyboard (not $140 like others) and was wondering if I had the right cable. The product description said an RJ11 keyboard connecter. Is that what I need? I don't know if you can see the product description like I can but here is an ebay link:

Apple iMac Mac keyboard Model M0110A Excellent | eBay

(UPDATE: yes scroll down you can see the description.)

Everything looks good to me.:)

But...the RJ11 connector on a phone cord & the proper Mac 512 Keyboard cable are the same (that's why a phone cord will fit in the first place)...and some phone cords can look just like the proper keyboard cable you need (just that the wires are reversed.

To be absolutely 100% sure the cable is the proper one. When you get the keyboard & cable:

- unplug the cable from the keyboard (if it's still connected)
- take both RJ11 ends of the cable and place them side by side to compare them (the flexible tab facing up)
- look very closely thru the clear plastic RJ11 connector and look at the colors of the wires.
- if it's the proper cable...the wire colors seen thru the clear plastic RJ11 connectors should mirror each other...and the colors should be from left to right in each connector (Yellow, Green, Red, Black).

If for some "crazy" reason the colors are different than I listed. The most important thing is that the colors in each connector are in the same order (left to right). If they are opposite like:

- plug #1 is (Yellow, Green, Red, Black)
- plug #2 is (Black, Red, Green, Yellow)

Then this would be the wrong cord...and in fact would be a telephone cord.

Again...I'm betting the cable with the keyboard is the correct one. But with the info above...you will be able to check to be 100% sure.:)

- Nick

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of the extremely helpful info, Nick! Hey, any idea what a Macintosh 512k (very nice condition) would be worth these days? I bought the thing for $250 last year.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of the extremely helpful info, Nick! Hey, any idea what a Macintosh 512k (very nice condition) would be worth these days? I bought the thing for $250 last year.

In my personal opinion...a lot less than $250!

There are folks on e-Bay selling these old Mac's for OUTRAGEOUS prices...and many times their auctions go unsold. They just keep relisting them & relisting them until the item finally sells...to someone who thinks the price is "ok"...or maybe just has to have it now...and pay the price.

From personal experience...I can tell you...if someone keeps watching Craig's List, shops at Thrift Stores, garage sales, flea markets, etc...these things can be picked up for $25 or less...and sometimes free.:)

You paid $250...and didn't even get a good keyboard and keyboard cable!;)

This is just my personal opinion (but with lots of experience to back it up).

I'm sure after paying $250 for it you feel differently...but hey...I'm not here to convince someone paying $250 for a Mac 512 is too much!;)

- Nick

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, cool!

Thanks for the opinion! I had no idea! But still, I like the computer, and I hope that keeping it in a good, working order for a longer while may up the price a bit. I am surprised people are trying to pass off worse computers than mine (My 512 came with a (broken) keyboard, (working) mouse, fully function computer in very nice cosmetic condition, and a carrying case for it!) for $350. One hundred dollars more. By the way, once my keyboard comes on I believe May 10th or 11th I want to still be able to contact you in case of any other issues occur. Thanks for all the extremely useful help. I may need more, lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, once my keyboard comes on I believe May 10th or 11th I want to still be able to contact you in case of any other issues occur. Thanks for all the extremely useful help. I may need more, lol.

We'll still be here.:)

But remember...the world is supposed to come to an end on December 21st, 2012...so let's talk before then!;)

- Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.