water spillage question (not covered in sticky)

Reaction score
Hi All,

Last week I spilled water on my MacBook Pro (unibody late 2011 17" model). after turning it off immediately, i made the mistake of getting too anxious 2 days later and seeing if it would turn on. since that first time i turned it on until now, my computer has booted up in the same following way:

1) normal CD sound
2) normal apple chime
3) normal flash of white on display
4) instead of the normal grey screen with the apple logo, the computer seems to shut off here (except it's not a full power off since the fans don't stop).

I cannnot do an SMC reset or a PRAM reset. when i try to hold the PRAM reset buttons nothing is different from the above. when i hold down ctrl-option-shift-power to reset the SMC, after 5 seconds or so, the LED light indicating that the computer is on (on the front of the machine) starts flickering on and off really quickly for about 2 seconds, after which it turns on and has the above sequence of events. nothing happens to the LED on the charger (which supposedly would happen if it were functioning properly).

I've taken my computer apart and cleaned it all with isopropyl alcohol (just in case that'll fix my woes), but i haven't put it back together yet to see if it changed anything. i was wondering if anybody knew if these symptoms corresponded to any particular hardware issue. i have a feeling it's not a display issue due to the lack of SMC reset functionality. similarly, it's probably not a harddrive issue since i was able to see the content of the drive on my ubuntu machine.

if it's most likely an issue with the logic board, does anybody have any recommendations on how to figure out which component got shorted?

best,
sami

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've taken my computer apart and cleaned it all with isopropyl alcohol (just in case that'll fix my woes)...

This really wasn't a very good idea. Most alcohols can actually cause damage/more issues.

if it's most likely an issue with the logic board, does anybody have any recommendations on how to figure out which component got shorted?

Yes it probably is something to do with the logic board. But even if it were possible to identify what specific component or components were effected...it isn't possible to repair or replace them.

This is why when liquid is spilled on a laptop, it's no longer working, and taken to Apple for diagnosis...that you usually end up with a $500-$700 repair estimate for the installation of a new logic board.

Sorry...but in almost all cases...this is what happens when liquids are spilled on laptops.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.