imac as a music system

Reaction score
Hi
I am wanting to buy an iMac for use as an all round family computer but I am also hoping I can use it as a music system in our family room.
Currently I have my large collection of music on a HDD in my old WIndows PC.
It is not in iTunes and I normally stream it from the PC to a Squeezebox connected to my hifi.
Can I transfer my music from the HDD to a new iMac and have everything in iTunes then use the iMac to control what music I play.
I am going to buy a new hifi which will also have DAB and internet radio and my ideal scenario would be to also stream my music from the iMac so all my music would be played through one hifi ?
Hope this makes sense and I would welcome any suggestions on a better way to do this also?
Thanks in advance
JJet

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes to all of the above. An iMac is an excellent choice and iTunes will easily handle your music library. Stay tuned to our forums and see what others are doing.

Also be sure to check out our Music and Audio Forum: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I use my iMac to stream music to my hifi using an Apple TV. I connect it to my amp via the HDMI output on the ATV (there is also a digital optical out you can use, but no analogue outputs).

I find this an excellent way of playing my music library through a decent hifi system.

Another way is to use an airport express which uses a 3.5mm to phono connection if your amp doesn't have a digital or HDMI input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
The other option would be to invest in an Audio Visual Amp and Decoder set up with HDMI for both music and movies.

Put a decent pair of front L & R speakers into the 5.1 or 7.1 set up and you could pass the music through using Apple TV (or from the iMac if the amp is Airplay enabled), choose direct mode on your amp and the music will rock properly bypassing the sub-woofer.

You will also have the option to stream your movies from iTunes to your system in 1080P and Dolby Digital 5.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.