• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

I like MplayerX but it struggles with basic .MP4 files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
It quickly gets massive audio sync issues, the sound keeps going but the picture falls way behind until it just doesnt make sense.

Anyone seen this or, what general media player do you use?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
I've heard of VLC for years but I don't like how they've worked very little on the interface, MPlayerX is generations ahead in terms of simplicity and usability. I always found that strange :-/

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried VLC 2? They did a major overall on the interface.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Just gave it a shot, you're right that is a much nicer interface than the old one, had to re-program the hotkeys to do the obvious (left and right arrow = 10 sec skips). Does handle the MP4 without picture delays so far.

BUT, it does have a strange "200Hz" effect that make my videos look different and cheaper. Its like that \soap-opera' effect you get on some of the gimmicky modes on new TVs. Looking for a way to turn that off, as the same videos on MPlayer look cinematic in comparison.

Reaction score
It quickly gets massive audio sync issues, the sound keeps going but the picture falls way behind until it just doesnt make sense.

Anyone seen this or, what general media player do you use?

Sound like you have a very old Mac, or you have some very messed up files. MPlayerX runs fine for (I think) all of us. What's the specs of your Mac? And have you tried Movist? Unlike others, I don't like VLC for its keyboard shortcuts (needing 2 keys to adjust volume is unacceptable) and picture quality.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
2.26Ghz C2D, 4GB ram @ 1067mhz

SSD running the OS, media is played from 1TB HDD internal. Its odd because MPlayer OSX is spot on, but MPlayerX has issues.

The files are just regular ~120mb .MP4 files of rips of daily show etc

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Hmm, MPlayerX still has this issue

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.