MacBook Pro USB 3.

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a GMYLE 2x USB 3 PCI ExpressCard for my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro Core i5 2,53 Ghz. (this one).

I installed the modded LaCie drivers from ModBin. The driver is installed correctly according to "about this mac" in the apple menu, as seen below. The card is beeing seen as "SuperSpeed USB 3 card" which is also a good thing. The drives attached are also being recognised. The problem is that none of them seems to show up on my desktop, nor in disk utility. Anyone who can help me out ? I own a Lacie Quadra v3 USB 3, which I'm now using with FireWire 800, but I'd like to get the extra speed as I do a lot of video editing.

Thanks in advance !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your attached images did not show up, however, the Amazon.UK description of that particular card says nothing about it being compatible for use with a Mac.

You stated you installed modded LaCie drivers from ModBin. And they're showing up as installed in your System Information.app?

You then go on to say the drives attached are also being recognized. (I assume in the System Information.app) However, you then tell us the drives are not showing up on the desktop or in Disk Utility. Sorry, but that doesn't make sense?

OP
B
Reaction score
I can't see which part of my story it is that 'doesn't make sense' to you. When I look at the pci-card status in the system informations.app, it says : "drivers installed: yes". It also says my Lacie d2 Quadra v3 1TB is connected to the usb 3.0 port. The problem is that I am not abble to mount it as it doesn't show up anywhere else than in System informations.app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is the Lacie disk got its own power source?

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, it does have it's own power source. When I connect a usb 2.0 flash drive, it also shows up in system informations.app, and the led will start flashing, but it doesn't mount. When I connect my iPhone 3GS, it also shows up in system informations.app, and it will start charging, however iTunes will not connect to the device. It is as if there's only power coming from the card, and no data transfer. It's not a hardware issue though, because if it was, the peripherals would not show up in system informations..

Reaction score
The product information on the website never says that it is compatible with Mac OS. It sounds like a gimic based on the reviews, someone who actually put up transfer speeds were no where close to USB 3.0.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The product information on the website never says that it is compatible with Mac OS. It sounds like a gimic based on the reviews, someone who actually put up transfer speeds were no where close to USB 3.0.

That's exactly what I was getting at with the OP. The fact that it shows up in System Information but won't mount is what does not make sense. It's either not compatible (even with the so-called drivers) or else there's a hardware problem with the Express slot on his MBP.

Reaction score
Did you ever get it working? Now that macs have native USB 3 support in their new macs, does that solve some problems?

Also your drive may not be mounting because the hacked Lacie drivers might only allow non-lacie drives to be used in the Lacie expresscard, and not for any expresscard to be used.

It might also be worth trying the Caldigit USB 3 drivers. These drivers are unlocked to work with any make drive, but again, only designed for their expresscard. CalDigit - Fast, Reliable, and Secure Storage Solutions

I've just purchased similarly cheap USB 3.0 expresscard and USB 3 drive enclosure, so hoping for an answer too! Really don't want to have to fork out £50-60 for a mac compatible expresscard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2012MBP, Early-2009MBP 15"(new to me)iPad Air 64GB iPad Air 2 6
Has anyone had any luck with any specific ExpressPort USB 3.0 devices? I'm looking at getting one for my MBP but I've read reviews that are all over the place. Any insight anyone could provide would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.