Made a mistake in buying a PowerMac G4?

Reaction score
Ireland - West Cork - it's a big beautiful place:-
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.
Current OS 10.4.11.
400mhz power PC G4 (2.9)
Memory 1.25 GB SDRAM

Should I have waited and gone for the G5?

Just been told this morning that my G4 won't run the newer OS (later than what it's running now v10.4.11). And that it won't run the current version of iTunes which I'm currently downloading to test this theory.

I'm wondering if it's a sales gimmick to sell me a G5 (for what I think is a good price second hand, compared to what I paid for my current G4 only bought yesterday).

I rang looking for a wireless network USB adapter for my Mac as I have no wires upstairs. Then was told the above and now I'm seriously confused.

I'm on my iPad now while the Mac is hooked up to wired Ethernet downstairs as a temporary solution.

Has anyone any ideas or suggestions?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.
That's the problem - money! Thanks for the link will check it out and I'm going to check out the price of an intel based Mac for curiosity.....

Thanks for replying!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
G4s are old, but yours, the 400mhz, is seriously old. You have a 10ish year old Mac. You are going to be very limited in what you can run.

Like Razermac said, if you can afford an Intel Mac, you will be much better off.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The PowerMac G4's were released around 1999 and are now 12+ years old. I was running on a Intel 486 around 1Ghz at that time and rocking Windows 98 with my 128MB of RAM..

I could hardly expect that machine to run Windows 7 today with all the bells and whistle, why is there any reason for a Mac from the same era/generation to run the newest/latest OS or software.

Considering purchasing ANYTHING beyond about 3 years or so needs to be thoroughly scrutinized to ensure that you are not making a mistake by buying a machine that will be guaranteed to be stuck in time as far as OS upgrades and software goes..

As Razormac suggested, purchasing an Intel-baed Mac is paramount and then it is also necessary to try to purchase as new a variant as possible. A lot of the original Intel-based Mac's came with Core Duo processors and Lion requires Core2Duo or more and that is JUST within the past 5 years or so..

So trying to get a i3 (minimal) based system will ensure that you can run the newest OS/software today and for a while to come..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Current OS 10.4.11.
400mhz power PC G4 (2.9)
Memory 1.25 GB SDRAM

Should I have waited and gone for the G5?

Just been told this morning that my G4 won't run the newer OS (later than what it's running now v10.4.11). And that it won't run the current version of iTunes which I'm currently downloading to test this theory.

I'm wondering if it's a sales gimmick to sell me a G5 (for what I think is a good price second hand, compared to what I paid for my current G4 only bought yesterday).

I rang looking for a wireless network USB adapter for my Mac as I have no wires upstairs. Then was told the above and now I'm seriously confused.

I'm on my iPad now while the Mac is hooked up to wired Ethernet downstairs as a temporary solution.

Has anyone any ideas or suggestions?

I think that you need to explain your situation in more detail:

- Why you bought this G4?
- What you expect to do with it?
- What OS version you want to run?
- Why you didn't "wait" and get a G5?
- What your budget is?
- Who did you buy this computer from...since you mentioned a "sales gimmick"? Not much "sales gimmicks" going on these days for these computers (G4's, and G5's) since they're at least 7-10 years old.

If money is a problem...then you're going to have to keep saving.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that you need to explain your situation in more detail:

- Why you bought this G4?
- What you expect to do with it?
- What OS version you want to run?
- Why you didn't "wait" and get a G5?
- What your budget is?
- Who did you buy this computer from...since you mentioned a "sales gimmick"? Not much "sales gimmicks" going on these days for these computers (G4's, and G5's) since they're at least 7-10 years old.

If money is a problem...then you're going to have to keep saving.

- Nick

Bought this machine so I can work with photos with more ease. Im online alot and heard that Apple are the way to go. Also Apple hardware is taking over in my home:Blushing:

So

1 security and compatability with my iPad and iPhone
2 photo editing and work related
3 ease of use
4 speed
5 fun

The above are my main reasons.

OS isn't important unless photoshop won't update on the machine I have now (Photoshop 7), and as long as iTunes 4 will work the same list of songs that is stored on my daughters iPod seeing as iTunes won't update as I don't have OS 10.5.

Regarding sales gimmick: what I meant was why was I offered a G5 with screen for 350? It sounds too cheap.....

I'm going to check out intel based machine next month when I might have more money......

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you go to eBay you will find lots of Powermac G5s available for $300 USD or less. You can probably find a decent Intel Mac for not much more, though it may not be able to run Lion.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 security and compatability with my iPad and iPhone

Since all iPads are (relatively speaking) new technology/product for Apple (less than 3 years old)...compatibility between iPads and Apple computers will require (in many cases) much newer hardware (computers) and much newer OS versions (probably Snow Leopard, OS 10.6).

You cannot expect a less than 3 year-old iPad to be compatible with a 10+ year old computer...running an OS that was discontinued back in 2007-2008 (OS 10.4). This would also apply to newer iPhone versions.

Thus some iPad & iPhone compatibility research should have been done prior to purchasing either a G4 or G5 based computer...since you may have found out that you needed an Intel based Macintosh computer in the first place.

OS isn't important unless photoshop won't update on the machine I have now (Photoshop 7), and as long as iTunes 4 will work the same list of songs that is stored on my daughters iPod seeing as iTunes won't update as I don't have OS 10.5.

Again...some compatibility research prior to purchasing this Powermac G4 would have been a great idea!:)

Regarding sales gimmick: what I meant was why was I offered a G5 with screen for 350? It sounds too cheap.....

I'm not sure where you're located or the exact model G5 computer you're talking about...but some Powermac G5 models can be purchased fairly regularly on e-Bay for $150-$200...and I know a couple folks who got them for close to $100.

So $350 for a G5 + a monitor (depending on the computer model)...is actually NOT cheap...but on the expensive side. Since if you got a Powermac G5 on e-Bay for $150...and a used monitor off Craig's List for $75...that would have only cost $225 (not $350).

I'm going to check out intel based machine next month when I might have more money......

This is probably the smartest thing I've read in this thread!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha Thanks Nick!!! 

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. Good luck with the search!:)

- Nick

Thank you all for your help today. I've spent the day trying to get the G4 to do what I want it to do but am sadly disappointed. It didnt recognise either my iPad 1st Gen or iPhone 4. Guess as Nick said, I should have researched. Unfortunately I was over the moon to be able to get my first Apple computer at a good price (that I could afford anyhow) that sense eluded me:Blushing:

Now, seeing as I normally research before I buy, can I recap on what I need:

A dual core processor with minimum OS 10.7 in order to have up to date software and recognise the afore mentioned external hardware....

Am I forgetting anything?

By the way I'm based in the south of Ireland if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks again:Blushing:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, seeing as I normally research before I buy, can I recap on what I need:

A dual core processor with minimum OS 10.7 in order to have up to date software and recognise the afore mentioned external hardware....

Am I forgetting anything?

Make sure not to confuse "dual-core" with "dual-processor". Powermac G5's come in both versions...but since Powermac G5's DO NOT have an Intel cpu...they CANNOT run Snow Leopard (10.6) or Lion (10.7).

What you want is any Intel based Macintosh with at least a Core 2 Duo cpu. NOT a Core Solo or Core Duo. I would also highly recommend this computer having 4gig of ram (or at least capable of being upgraded to 4gig of ram).

Once you have this...you will be able to run OS 10.7 (Lion) just fine.

Of course...OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) is going to be released this Summer. This article (below) lists what computers CAN run 10.8...and those that are "Not Expected" to be able to run Mountain Lion:

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion System Requirements

I'm only mentioning this...since I'm guessing you don't want to buy a used Intel based Macintosh in May...and find out this Summer (June, July, August)...that the computer will not be able to run the latest OS.

Again good luck,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for clarifying
I presume though, having read the link you posted Nick, that as long as the machine is compatible with OS 10.8 it will be still running OS that is compatable with my iPad and iPhone and other apple hardware whether it's OS 10.6 or 10.7?
And I will look to buy from Apple direcly unless my supplier can offer me a good deal. 

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I presume though, having read the link you posted Nick, that as long as the machine is compatible with OS 10.8 it will be still running OS that is compatable with my iPad and iPhone and other apple hardware whether it's OS 10.6 or 10.7?

Yes...Apple is pretty good about that. If two or three products are currently selling (a computer, iPhone, and iPad)...then all devices will be able to communicate between each other easily.

It's only when a device is no longer being sold...or is starting to get old (3-5 years)...is when you have to start worrying.

For example...now that Apple has released the iPad 3 ("New iPad")...there will be a time (in the future) when folks that own an iPad 1 will start "hitting walls" in terms of capabilities and support. Since as new iOS versions for the iPad are released, and the abilities of iPad's improve (processing power, graphics, internal memory, etc.)...with newer releases (iPad 4, iPad 5, iPad 6, etc.)...support for older hardware will diminish.

What I'm saying is...sometime in the future...an iPad 1 will be just like the Powermac G4 you bought...a real DINOSAUR!;) Remember Palm Pilots and other early PDA's from the 1990's.;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha Palm Pilots. And to think I wanted one back then
Guess my kids will end up with my iPad 1 in a few years so:-(

Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to my next investment

C

chas_m

As a general rule of thumb (applies to all platforms) -- very new peripheral plus VERY OLD computer or OS version = untenable mix.

Based on your criteria for what you wanted to do, I am somewhat dumbfounded that you thought you could get away with a decade+ year old computer of any kind.

I can appreciate budget concerns, but then there's the maxim that you get what you pay for. Particularly with Apple, "cheaping out" doesn't generally work out well.

Having said that, I recently realised that my workhorse MacBook was falling too far behind the times, wasn't going to be compatible with 10.8, and on top of that needed a battery replacement. I had planned to save up for a new MacBook Pro when the next ones come out, but a good deal on a 2009 MBP fell into my lap ($500) so I went for that. I'm still a little behind the new machines, but I'm on the same plateau at least and future-proofed for the foreseeable next little while.

I may still get a newer one later this year (mainly for tax reasons, but also if they offer something compelling to me), but this will "tide me over" for up to another couple of years if necessary. You might want to look at doing something like what I did, though I will say that if you can possibly afford it, Apple Refurbished is THE way to go for one's first Mac while saving a bit of money.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a general rule of thumb (applies to all platforms) -- very new peripheral plus VERY OLD computer or OS version = untenable mix.

Well said!:)

Having said that, I recently realised that my workhorse MacBook was falling too far behind the times, wasn't going to be compatible with 10.8, and on top of that needed a battery replacement.

Is this the "always loved" black MacBook?:)

Are you keeping it...or selling it? I'm sure it will be fine for a while running 10.6 or 10.7:)...which maybe makes it a good time to sell it (before 10.8 is released).

- Nick

C

chas_m

Yeah, my beloved Blackbook -- for now I'm holding on to it since I cannot in good conscience sell it without a decent battery. I was running Lion on it w/3GB of RAM with no real issues (other than graphics performance, which was starting to be a bother).

I agree the time to sell it is now, but my wife gets first dibs on it once I replace the battery. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, my beloved Blackbook -- for now I'm holding on to it since I cannot in good conscience sell it without a decent battery.

Ahh yes...the battery. Not the best selling point if the battery is not reasonably "healthy".

I agree the time to sell it is now, but my wife gets first dibs on it once I replace the battery. :)

Hey that's a great way to rationalize not selling it...and keeping it in the family!:) Besides...the black MacBooks are certainly much less common...and maybe worthy of hanging onto.:)

Enjoy that "new to you" MacBook Pro!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.