Made a mistake in buying a PowerMac G4?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I agree, Fighting for mouse space is very annoying, But Personally; I'd prefer a Stationary Trackball over a Trackpad. But again, It's Opinion.

I'm right with you!:). A stationary trackball with both left & right click mouse buttons is what I primarily use as well with my desktop computers. But I do miss some of the "gestures" available with the trackpads on my notebooks & Magic Trackpad.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Ireland - West Cork - it's a big beautiful place:-
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.
Ok - first of all I hate track pads on a laptop;P I love my wireless super fast mouse with scrolling wheel. I've never used a magic mouse so not sure how I would take to it.

Secondly - what I need my computer for is photoshop and work related to photography, security, speed, fun and easy maintenance. Surfing etc :)

It's still unknown whether my G4 can be saved it's looking doubtful but in the meantime I think I will go ahead with the mini mac.

I have read I will need a HDMI to DVI cable. ( does that mean I won't be using the adapter that comes with it?)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something as I'm rushing for the school run so I wil check in again later:Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Ok - first of all I hate track pads on a laptop;P I love my wireless super fast mouse with scrolling wheel. I've never used a magic mouse so not sure how I would take to it.

Secondly - what I need my computer for is photoshop and work related to photography, security, speed, fun and easy maintenance. Surfing etc :)

It's still unknown whether my G4 can be saved it's looking doubtful but in the meantime I think I will go ahead with the mini mac.

I have read I will need a HDMI to DVI cable. ( does that mean I won't be using the adapter that comes with it?)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something as I'm rushing for the school run so I wil check in again later:Blushing:

Have you ever used an Apple Trackpad? They are worlds above PC trackpads. The best PC trackpad would be like a sleaziest, drug dealing, bed bug ridden hotel you can find, versus a 5 star everything catered to your needs resort.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.
Have you ever used an Apple Trackpad? They are worlds above PC trackpads. The best PC trackpad would be like a sleaziest, drug dealing, bed bug ridden hotel you can find, versus a 5 star everything catered to your needs resort.

No I've never tried it but what I can do is try one out in the apple shop over the weekend.

My Mac Mini is ordered and I should have it by Friday. :)

I can always decide to get accessories like the trackpad or magic mouse at a later stage.

I'm going to connect the Mac mini to a HDTV via HDMI and see what happens;D

Reaction score
Just my tuppence, but I'd seriously consider whether buying secondhand macs is a good idea. I appreciate you have a budget, but these things really do hold their value.

If you can run what you have for a little longer, or consider getting a finance deal (I really shouldn't advise that, but that's how I got my Air), maybe look at getting a Mac Mini.

(Apple - Mac mini - Even more powerful. Even more affordable.)

It's the cheapest way to get a mac and mine's been a super solid machine. Althought the cost is a lot more, they depreciate so slowly that often 2nd hand macs just aren't worth it.

Even secondhand this is probably the best way to go, and any G4/G5's that you invest in would likely be dead money. Not sure what the 2nd hand market is, but if you can get a late G4/G5 for $100-150 then that might be worth it. $250? for a 5+ year old computer that's totally unsupported? madness!

Had a quick look and a Mac Mini would set you back $600 in the US, less if you or someone in your family is eligible for an 'educational discount'. This is a computer that could last you 10 years (who knows what the future holds).

This would get you a machine that to be fair is a real pocket power house. I've got 2 G4's in the house and their only used to serve files, play music and sometimes films.

Good luck with your search!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
No I've never tried it but what I can do is try one out in the apple shop over the weekend.

My Mac Mini is ordered and I should have it by Friday. :)

I can always decide to get accessories like the trackpad or magic mouse at a later stage.

I'm going to connect the Mac mini to a HDTV via HDMI and see what happens;D

Congrats on the Mini purpose . . . sure you will like it. I use HDMi connection to my monitor (27 in Viewsonic with HDMI and DVI inputs), but I have hooked it up to the HDTV before as well.

One other reccommendation I have is the Missing Manual Series, Switching to the Mac. Amazon has it and it is a good resource for switchers (even to not so recent ones at times). ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac...TF8&qid=1336597050&sr=1-1?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Razormac -I had my eye on that book already although i dont expect any problems, I will get it!

I did enjoy messing on the temporary G4 (not sure if it will return to me with the OS update to 10.5, (the person doing it wont give up), but looks doubtful.

I'm planning to hook it up to my tv which is 24" so that should be nice till I need the tv again:)

Thanks again everyone - I really enjoy reading through the forum for tips and ideas;)

Edit: Actually one question for the experts here;) Can someone tell me with the Mac Mini coming with Lion now as OS, when Mountain Lion OS 10.8 comes out in the summer, will I be able to get this upgrade FOC or at a reduced cost or is it tough luck for buying too soon?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did enjoy messing on the temporary G4 (not sure if it will return to me with the OS update to 10.5, (the person doing it wont give up), but looks doubtful.

10.5 won't install on a Powermac G4 with less than an 867mhz cpu (yours only has a 400mhz cpu).

There is a program called "Leopard Assist"...that's supposed to "fool" the 10.5 installer. Even if you do get 10.5 running on a 400mhz Powermac G4...it's going to be SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!

- Nick

Reaction score
Somehow glossed over the fact that you've ordered a Mini. Is a wise choice. Solid machines!

The later one's support dual displays, so you can plug whatever size LCD monitor into it combined with your TV :)

Hope you enjoy it, am sure you will! :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edit: Actually one question for the experts here;) Can someone tell me with the Mac Mini coming with Lion now as OS, when Mountain Lion OS 10.8 comes out in the summer, will I be able to get this upgrade FOC or at a reduced cost or is it tough luck for buying too soon?

We don't know but the consensus here is Mountain Lion will probably cost $29. As to free . . . Apple has done it before. My guess would be 30 day window on free upgrade.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5 won't install on a Powermac G4 with less than an 867mhz cpu (yours only has a 400mhz cpu).

There is a program called "Leopard Assist"...that's supposed to "fool" the 10.5 installer. Even if you do get 10.5 running on a 400mhz Powermac G4...it's going to be SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!

- Nick

I was told that could happen but like them, I never give up, and said it's worth a try. Thanks all the same. Appreciate the heads up:)

@Hutchism - Thanks:)

@Razormac - just a matter of keeping the eyes peeled so for that warning;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I also hate trackpads on most laptops, but the Magic Trackpad is really amazing, both on a Macbook and on its own. It's very sensitive and if you already use an iPhone, you'll find many of the gestures similar. You may still find you don't like it, but do NOT think it's anything like the trackpads on most laptops!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also hate trackpads on most laptops, but the Magic Trackpad is really amazing, both on a Macbook and on its own. It's very sensitive and if you already use an iPhone, you'll find many of the gestures similar. You may still find you don't like it, but do NOT think it's anything like the trackpads on most laptops!

True, as they say don't judge a book by it's cover!

It looks good on the apple website, so hopefully I wil get a chance to get away from the kids and try out the gadgets over the weekend:Blushing:

Anyone recommend one book over the other here - they both look good but I'm leaning toward the dummies one......But the other one looks good too:\

Switching to a Mac For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)) : Arnold Reinhold : 9781118024461
Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Lion Edition (Missing Manuals) : David Pogue : 9781449398538

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the Missing Manual book (and several others in the series). Can't comment on the other, except that I've never appreciated being called a Dummy. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well as I said I connected the Mac mini to a HD tv via HDMI but was disgusted with quality. Two days later I found and bought a DVI cable and connected it to the screen and a much better result presented itself onscreen
Got myself a book (neither of the above) and hope to go through it over the coming weeks and start enjoying what my Mac can do.

Now how do I get it to make a cup of coffee again???........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Well as I said I connected the Mac mini to a HD tv via HDMI but was disgusted with quality. Two days later I found and bought a DVI cable and connected it to the screen and a much better result presented itself onscreen
Got myself a book (neither of the above) and hope to go through it over the coming weeks and start enjoying what my Mac can do.

Now how do I get it to make a cup of coffee again???........

Well first you have to make sure your coffee maker is connected to your wifi network... lol:p

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well first you have to make sure your coffee maker is connected to your wifi network... lol:p

Ha ha, thats for the future too, an app that's on your iPhone and wirelessly turns on the coffee machine and a fresh brew waiting when you come downstairs in the morning!!! Sounds good to me;)

Wireless it is then.....all the way;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.