Hard drive question?

Reaction score
Hey all, just got a new macbook today, having an issue here. I look at the hardrive (500 GB) and its saying almost 200 of it is used up, but when I go looking for the files I cant find them anywhere, its mostly music and videos...........the mac was used before so I'm sure that where it came from, but i can't find these files to delete them. I have tried all the basic stuff like going through regular hardrive avenue, but I see nothing. Any advice is much appreciated!

OP
B
Reaction score
Weird problem with HD

Hey all, just got a new macbook today, having an issue here. I look at the hardrive (500 GB) and its saying almost 200 of it is used up, but when I go looking for the files I cant find them anywhere, its mostly music and videos...........the mac was used before so I'm sure that where it came from, but i can't find these files to delete them. I have tried all the basic stuff like going through regular hardrive avenue, but I see nothing. Any advice is much appreciated!:Angry:

C

chas_m

The answer is "the mac was used."

Get your own files off the machine. Insert the system DVD and reboot from it. Wipe the hard drive (I suggest a single pass of writing zeros unless you enjoy leaving it work for two days to a week), install a fresh copy of the system, migrate your stuff back, do the updates.

NOW the machine is really yours, and you'll know that everything is supposed to be there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Has the mac got another User account where all that data is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hard drive question? Yes, and the answer too!

You can use Disk Utility to wipe the hard drive, if you boot off of the OS installation disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I though I had already posted this, but here goes

Is there another User account on that mac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I though I had already posted this, but here goes...

You did;) (double thread post by OP)...threads merged.

@bwatz...no need to double post.

Thanks,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.