HELP! Trying to update firmware! And locked out of ADMIN

Reaction score
I have an old iMac G3 slot loading running on OS 9.2. I do not have the admin password or access. I am trying to update the firmware so I can update the OS however it was previously a school computer and is extremely locked down. I do have access to the general account but there's not much available on that. I have the firmware updates on CD. There is no open firmware password. When I try to enter the command terminal or single user mode - I cannot. I boot up holding "apple" + S but it just boots up like normal. How can I fix this? Either by getting into SUM or the command terminal or any other way of being allowed to update the firmware so I can install the new OS!! Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sure sounds like that machine has a firmware password locking it down. Are you sure it doesn't have one?

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, I booted to openfirmware and entered "setenv security-mode none" and that worked fine. Before that I even set my own password. But if you have any ideas. . . I'm open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a look at this link and check again it is not firmware password protected as chscag suggested. Scroll down until you see the padlock. Was used in a great many schools as an anti-theft protection measure.

Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X

OP
N
Reaction score
Following the link, that webpage states that it "Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup (see below)" but when I use the Option Key I can access that page and change the startup without a password. Also, most of that page is for OS X . . . I will try setting the password myself and see but how can I use it to change the Admin password? Someone else on a diff. forum mentioned that OS 9 doesn't have SUM or a command terminal? Is that correct?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.