About To Throw My Mac Out The Window!

Reaction score
I'm so frustrated right now. I could really do with some help, guys...

I'm new to the Mac having spent my whole life on a PC. I'd never go back now... O:)
But I really need some advice. I'm trying to get some old photo's off an old PC drive I have. I would like to copy them, print them..do something with them because right now they're on the old drive and I can't do anything to get at them. I've tried to solve this problem for the last 9 months. I've bought Parellel to get Windows up to see if that would work, I've downloaded MacFuse and NTFS-3G (whatever the **** they do)...I'm just all so hopelessly lost. I feel devastated (wedding pics etc) :\

What can I do guys? I've no longer the PC tower, just the harddrive. I bought a IDE 2.0 cable system and even though the light is on on the drive, nothing is coming up on my Mac screen. I don't know what to do. I'm not so computer savvy..can anyone break it down for me on what exactly I should do?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :(

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
First of all you don't need any additional software to access the files on your old PC HD. Assuming it is an external drive (or that you have installed it in an external enclosure) your Mac will read the files just fine, whether the drive is formatted FAT or NTFS.

You need additional software only if it is formatted NTFS and if you intend to write to the drive.

If you are having problems reading the drive, the most like things are:
1) The Cable is bad
2) The Drive itself is bad
or
3) The Enclosure is bad

Please post a few more specifics and we will try to help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It sounds like it is an internal IDE drive. Unless you have a Mac Pro or some such - getting IDE to work on a Mac (as IDE) would be difficult. I'm not sure what you mean by IDE 2.0 cable system - but what you should get is an enclosure - that converts the IDE to USB
https://www.google.com/search?sourc....,cf.osb&fp=df41ee306381e0bb&biw=1092&bih=984
Then you can plug it into any USB system

Even with that you will need something like Paragon or NTFS-3G to write to the drive. If you only want to pull data off the drive - then you shouldn't need anything special - Mac should be able to read NTFS.

OP
C
Reaction score
If you are having problems reading the drive, the most like things are:
1) The Cable is bad
2) The Drive itself is bad
or
3) The Enclosure is bad

Please post a few more specifics and we will try to help

Hi, thanks for your patience.

I bought an IDE USB connector. From the old drive, there is one wire to power it from a wall socket, the other; going directly into the Mac via USB. The light it on the drive which is telling me that it's getting fed power. But nothing is coming up on the Macintosh - no windows, no nothing...it's like it the IDE doesn't even exist.

I'm not even sure how to do it manually i.e - go looking for the harddrive that might show up somewhere. On PC I used to go to My Computer when things didn't start automatically as you do...

CAn you tell me what software I need to download? :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think by IDE 2.0 system he means an IDE to USB dock or enclosure.

Tell us exactly what you are using. Brand. Configuration,

OP
C
Reaction score
Then you can plug it into any USB system

Even with that you will need something like Paragon or NTFS-3G to write to the drive. If you only want to pull data off the drive - then you shouldn't need anything special - Mac should be able to read NTFS.

Hi, I got one of those enclosures before and it was too small....obviously they come in different sizes? Because I certainly would need a bigger one. Oh, by IDE Cable system I mean the guy in the store just gave me a bunch of wires...no enclosure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, if you've got a full sized drive, your USB bus won't power it. So if you have wires that hook from IDE to USB, that won't work alone. The drive will need external power.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, if you've got a full sized drive, your USB bus won't power it. So if you have wires that hook from IDE to USB, that won't work alone. The drive will need external power.

Hi, I posted up pics in a post but It says I need a mod to approve the post...

The external drive is powered by a power source (a wire that I got in the IDE box) and another cable runs from the external drive to the Mac via USB. I'm obviously going to need an enclosure? I bought one before but they are quite small...I could not fit the external drive into the enclosure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

The external drive is powered by a power source (a wire that I got in the IDE box) and another cable runs from the external drive to the Mac via USB. I'm obviously going to need an enclosure? I bought one before but they are quite small...I could not fit the external drive into the enclosure.

You probably got an enclosure for a 2.5in drive, or laptop drive. You'll need one for a 3.5in drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

We'll take a look once the post has been approved. There's a way around all of this, and get your data, to be sure :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In the Pic I can't tell. Does that USB/IDE adapter have a jack for external power?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to approve the message but it seems to be approved!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait, the second pic.. that's an optical media drive? That wouldn't have the same power requirements as a hard drive, but... if you have this on optical media, then this is a whole different question.

OP
C
Reaction score
Wait, the second pic.. that's an optical media drive? That wouldn't have the same power requirements as a hard drive, but... if you have this on optical media, then this is a whole different question.

The guy in the store must have come down in the last shower....

This is most probably a stupid question but my pics are on that optical media drive, correct? Or have I taken out the wrong thing? That drive was the only thing in the PC tower that could possibly save anything. There was nothing else in there.

What do I need now to get my information off that optical media drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, that optical drive would be what you'd read CDs/DVDs with. They store no data on their own. You'd need the hard disk.. which should look something like this..

IDE-HDD.gif

btw, even with that cable.. you'd need power to the optical drive. *sigh* some days, I hate salespeople.

OP
C
Reaction score
No, that optical drive would be what you'd read CDs/DVDs with. They store no data on their own. You'd need the hard disk.. which should look something like this..

IDE-HDD.gif

btw, even with that cable.. you'd need power to the optical drive. *sigh* some days, I hate salespeople.

Do optical media drives also have these Power Connector Cable and IDE Cable sockets on the back of them? Because mine has....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do optical media drives also have these Power Connector Cable and IDE Cable sockets on the back of them? Because mine has....

It's an IDE drive, so yes. They do. The connections on the left are data connections, on the right is power.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your files are stored on the hard drive, not the Optical drive.

I asked a question that I think you missed. Does that IDE/USB adapter have any kind of jack for an external power adapter?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.