Macbbok Pro kernel panics (weird)

Reaction score
Okay... So lately i've been getting lots of kernel crashes and i literally tried everything... I was running Lion 10.7.3 when this happened but i tried to uninstall the OS so now im running SL, but it keeps crashing. I've tried to do a apple hardware test on extended and normal, but nothing....

I usually gets KP when im in my browser with more than 3-4 taps open, but the weird thing is that when i go into safe mode i can open up 100 taps in my browser + all programs in my dock and it runs fine... Im running safe mode right now but i can't keep doing it since there is no sound and it's a little bit slower, but it's fine for now though.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing this? :Blushing:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot the machine in normal mode and open your Activity Monitor app. Keep an eye on things to see what may be running that's possibly causing the KPs.

Also, take stock of all your login items that may be starting up when you boot in normal mode. Removing them one at a time might resolve the KPs if a rogue program is causing it. Also remove all other hardware from the machine. Run it bare.

OP
B
Reaction score
Boot the machine in normal mode and open your Activity Monitor app. Keep an eye on things to see what may be running that's possibly causing the KPs.

Also, take stock of all your login items that may be starting up when you boot in normal mode. Removing them one at a time might resolve the KPs if a rogue program is causing it. Also remove all other hardware from the machine. Run it bare.

I disabled all startup items. The first thing you mentioned... I have no idea which programs could be causing it, but would a screenshot of activity monitor help? And could this problem be caused by my router/airport or something like that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you disabled all startup items, did the kernel panics stop? Also, I doubt your router would be causing it.

Kernel panics are generally hardware related by can also be cause by software which is why you need to eliminate any software problems first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.