Issues w/OS X Leopard. Ok to install Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Can somebody advise me, please...?
I own a Black MacBook 4,1 (late 2008) with OS X Leopard (v.10.5.8) installed. I am experiencing problems with the hard drive, which requires the Installation Discs to sort it out, but I don't have the Installation Disc Set.
I was wondering what would be the best, most effective remedy for this problem? Would it be possible / recommended to backup then format the hard drive and do a fresh, full install using OS X Snow Leopard 10.6? Would this be possible and would it sort out the problem/s?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Sincerely,
Nigel.
P.S. I'd also like to say a big "thank you very much!" to all those who responded to my initial/first call for assistance concerning my new external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could use a Snow leopard disk to boot and repair the disk and then proceed to do a fresh install, that would be fine

Have you got all your files off the disk first?, if not try a disk repair first, and since Snow leopard disks are inexpensive that would be your best bet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.