New I mac crashing

dao

Reaction score
Hi
I have a brand new iMac that crashes at work after trouble shooting with Mac on the phone was advised to take it back to store so I did .
Then I received another new one and yes the same thing happened to it so I took it back to the store and tried to make it repeat the crash it did not do it there so I take the new second system back and tired to put it in an alternate power source still it does it again !!!
It was a curtain closing effect and message saying I needed to power off and restart ....

So I decided to take the system home to see what it did there and it worked just fine ugh !!!
I even loaded a program and did multiple things to see if I could get it to crash as it did at my work but it didn't and works just fine!!!

Could it be a power issue at the place I work ?
we run an older iMac with out issue and numerous printer and copiers that are wireless.
Any ideas ????

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That Gray curtain like screen is a Kernel Panic. That usually is caused by Bad RAM but there can be other causes.

Now, since it does not to it at your home and at an Apple store, what are you doing differently at work? Are you at work plugging any USB Peripherals into it at work? Seen some USB devices plugged in causing that type of Panic.

Let us know as that is the only thing I can see happening. You using the same applications at home also?

OP
D

dao

Reaction score
Yes I think it is so strange ..... No I had not plugged into anything else besides the electric in the wall !
However last night I did a little more reading and saw quite a few that spoke about their airport wifi verses hard line in and when they shut that off and used a lag cable they no longer crashed .
That still seems strange to be as I used wifi at home ..... worth a try I was thinking as I'm now grasping at straws!
the other thing I have at work would be wireless printers wondering if that would do it???
Dale

Reaction score
Could try switching channels on the router, or switching to WEP just to see if it has some effect?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.