Apple TV vs Roku

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be purchasing the new ipad this week and will probably buy the new iphone whenever it comes out. I also currently own a macbook. I'm looking to buy either an apple TV or a roku box to stream my netflix account to my TV. Considering I'll be pretty entrenched in the world of apple with the ipad and iphone, I figured I may as well purchase the apple TV should I decide to purchase any digital content. I have HBO on AT&T so I would love to be able to watch HBO through my TV box, a feature that the roku box offers but Apple TV does not. My question is whether you all think this is enough of a reason not to purchase the Apple TV. Is the apple TV that great of a product that I'll be missing out should I go with the Roku? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
You can use AirPlay to stream from the HBO Go app on the iPad thru the Apple TV to your TV. Also when Mountain Lion comes out, you can stream it from your Mac. I wouldn't let the lack of an app on your iPad deter you

OP
B
Reaction score
Oh, my understanding is that there is an ipad app for HBO Go, but that the app is not compatible with Airplay so there really isn't any way to get HBO Go onto the apple TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Another plus with the new iPad and Apple TV is mirroring the iPad wirelessly to your TV via Apple TV3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Oh, my understanding is that there is an ipad app for HBO Go, but that the app is not compatible with Airplay so there really isn't any way to get HBO Go onto the apple TV.
Sorry, I have a Mac Mini hooked to the same TV that I have my Apple TV hooked to. I thought I had watched HBO Go thru the iPad Airplay combination, but apparently I watched it thru the Mini....My apologies for the misinformation.

I still wonder if you will not be able to stream HBO Go from your Mac via Apple TVonce Mountain Lion is installed.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I own both Roku and Apple TV. I love them both, but for different reasons:

Things that come to mind the most for both products:

Roku
  • so many apps and new ones arriving constantly
  • stream videos from your computer to the Roku through myplex or a hard drive depending on the model
  • no YouTube app, which is a huge downside for me
  • international TV channel apps
Apple TV
  • AirPlay, but not all apps support it
  • stream effortlessly from your iTunes library
  • a YouTube app, but it's missing features like recent list of videos from subscribed channels
  • Trailers app really nice

I like my Roku better. The Apple TV for Apple is a hobby, we might see it take off once Apple's television comes out in a few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Mid-2010
I am new. Please forgive the intrusion on this thread but after searching this is the one which most closely fits my situation. I had a Roku which streamed my netflex but I bought an Apple TV this week along with an iPad so I replaced the Roku with the Apple TV (ADDED: this is using it with my HDTV).

Two things: Netflix insists that I enter an activation code from the device but the Apple documentation shows none. Searching says none is needed but if I do not enter an activation code in Netflix (leave it blank) then it says it is invalid.

And as I am trying to configure the Apple TV for my tv (using its cute little remote), my iMac comes alive and beings to play music. I am new to Mac - slowly switching over. Even if I power off the iMac, it wakes up and begins to present icons in a circular fashion and then plays music. I can not figure how to bring it back to regular screen unless I AGAIN use the Apple TV remote clicked on 'menu' then I get my iMac back.

My only TV is what comes from Netflix and now it's down. My iPad3 is pretty but I'm just learning to put in notes and things.

The apple TV keeps saying it sees the wi-fi fine but then when I select NetFlix, it asks for my NetFlix account. I enter it correctly (same one I can get into Netflix on my windows box) but it says it is incorrect. Something is major missing here.

Ideas appreciated. I am enjoying moving to the world of Mac but I still can't get used to lack of right-click, LOL. BTW, I had also added an Airport Extreme to the router configuration to boost speed but that doesn't seem to be connected to this issue although I bought all this equipment at same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I cannot remember entering any kind of code to my Apple TV for NetFlix, I just logged in.

1. Make sure your Apple TV is fully up to date.
2. Verify internet access on the Apple TV by watching previews of stuff in iTunes movies or TV.
3. Change your NetFlix password, just to make sure you have it.
4. If it is insisting on requiring a code from Netflix, then pull up your computer, get the code, and enter it. I had to do this on my Sony DVD player to get it working, but I honestly cannot remember needing it on the Apple TV.

And, on the iPad, download Apple's Remote app. connects to the Apple TV allowing you to control everything on the Apple TV from your iPad, including using the keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.