Upgrade current Macbook or buy a new one?

Reaction score
I bought a refurbished first generation Macbook in 2007 (from Apple). It's a 13" 1.83 ghz, 2x256 memory, 60GB hard drive. I upgraded the memory to 1G in 2008. The battery is currently dead, and the hard drive is almost full. Would I be better off buying a new battery and upgrading the hard drive, or buying a new Macbook Air (probably refurbished again)?

My job is going to let me start telecommuting, so I need something fast. My current one is very slow. I am also enrolling in an online degree program, and need something reliable for that. My friend says I should just upgrade what I have, but should I really put money into something that is six years old?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Considering:

- the age
- the older specs
- what it would cost to get it running 100% again
- your upcoming computing demands
- and system requirements for Lion (OS 10.7) and Mountain Lion (OS 10.8)

I would say getting a new or newer computer would be the way to go (assuming you have the budget in place). But in my humble opinion...I wouldn't get a MacBook Air (just me).:)

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick, would you recommend a refurbished Macbook Pro?

Absolutely. A refurbished MacBook Pro from the Apple online store is a great idea...we recommend that all the time!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.