I Want IE9! VirtualBox Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Following this guide:
Internet Explorer for Mac the Easy Way: Run IE 7, IE8, & IE9 Free in a Virtual Machine
when I get to step 4 terminal gives the following:

Extracting Windows 7.vhd 99%
Windows 7.vhd - CRC failed
Unexpected end of archive
Windows 7.vhd : packed data CRC failed in volume Windows_7_IE9.part01.exe
Cannot find volume Windows_7_IE9.part02.rar
Total errors: 3

ERROR: Failed to extract Windows_7_IE9.part01.exe to /Users/Mykl/.ievms/vhd/IE9/Windows 7.vhd, unrar command returned error code 0

This thread:
https://github.com/xdissent/ievms/issues/34
gives the advice to download a file and put it in ~/.ievms/vhd/IE9 the only trouble being that there is no .ievms - desktop, library, music etc but no .ievms.

Please help! What do I need to do to fix this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That method seems unnecessarily complex. SImply install Windows Vista or 7 in a VM using VirtualBox and install IE9 the "normal" way.

If you want to continue trying this method, you need to note the following:
1. Directories that begin with a period are hidden so it's very possible that you have an ".ievms" directory. You can view hidden files by executing the following:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE ; killall Finder
Once you've done what you need, I highly suggest "re-hiding" the folders/files that should be hidden using the following:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE ; killall Finder
2. It looks like you're missing unrar. Although the instructions state that only Linux users need to install it, OS X doesn't come with one (which makes me think that the author hasn't tried this on a Mac). You can install unrar using something like MacPorts or HomeBrew.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Van, the difference with the method the OP posted as opposed to what you suggested (which is what I was going to recommend as well) is that you don't need to purchase a copy of Windows for this to work. You are using a test copy of Windows that is valid for 30 days, but with that website is suggesting using the VirtualBox snapshot mechanism to reset it back once the 30 days elapses..

So this is truly a "free" solution that gets you Windows and your desired version of IE..

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I've tried installing W7 and failed, I don't know why, perhaps just because me and tech don't always get on... as for Vista NO THANKS! Not after everything I've heard. I'm already running XP on VMWare.

With your code I've found the hidden files, thanks for that. When I copied the files it still doesn't work. I've used UnRarX on the file as well. I'm sure I've followed the instructions to the letter but it still doesn't work :(

OP
M
Reaction score
@Raz0rEdge,
I don't really care about Windows, just IE9, so can someone either help me fix the issue I have or suggest another option? I don't think there are any others but I'm a noob!

(I hope that doesn't come across as rude at all, if it does it's unintentional, please forgive!)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Mykltron, the issue is that you need a copy of Windows running somehow before you can use IE, so without Windows, you cannot get IE running..

If you have a Windows 7 installation disc, then you should be able to point a VirutalBox VM to it and it should go through the installation easily. I did the same thing a couple of days ago cuz I had to Windows 7 to test something out, I used VMWare Fusion, but the idea is the same and the installation went without any problems..

What kind of issues did you have?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Van, the difference with the method the OP posted as opposed to what you suggested (which is what I was going to recommend as well) is that you don't need to purchase a copy of Windows for this to work. You are using a test copy of Windows that is valid for 30 days, but with that website is suggesting using the VirtualBox snapshot mechanism to reset it back once the 30 days elapses..

So this is truly a "free" solution that gets you Windows and your desired version of IE..
To be honest, the whole "IE testing" VM thing was new to me until this thread. So I suppose in this instance it might be a perfect solution for the OP. However, and I agree with you here, this seems to be a convoluted solution to this problem given that the VM produced by MS is designed for VirtualPC.

I've tried installing W7 and failed, I don't know why, perhaps just because me and tech don't always get on... as for Vista NO THANKS! Not after everything I've heard. I'm already running XP on VMWare.
W7 should install fine - many people use it without issue in VBox. Do you have a retail copy or are you trying to use the copy that came with another computer?

@Mykltron, the issue is that you need a copy of Windows running somehow before you can use IE, so without Windows, you cannot get IE running..
Depends on the IE version. Older versions of IE will work in CrossOver (here) but anything modern (IE8+) won't. So, for the purposes of this thread, you're right. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
I was trying to install without a disk, just a disk image. I tried burning the image to disk but it still didn't work. I don't want to buy W7 just so I can test things in IE9, especially when I have XP working fine.

Would it be rude to say "VB or GTFO"? ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be careful, we will not help you with illegal copies of Windows or any other software here, as long as you have legit versions of Windows you are playing with, we'll gladly work through any issues you are having..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was trying to install without a disk, just a disk image. I tried burning the image to disk but it still didn't work. I don't want to buy W7 just so I can test things in IE9, especially when I have XP working fine.

Would it be rude to say "VB or GTFO"? ;)

Seems to me you're trying to work around using a legal version of Windows 7 as has been suggested. We're not going to help any further. As stated, buy a legal copy of Windows 7 full install, and then install IE9. Amazon sells an OEM System Builder version for $99.99.

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.