iPad 2 completely dead, wont turn on, cannot restore.

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice. My ipad is completely dead, I have the apple logo appearing on the screen for 20 minute stretches then flickering off, then coming back on again until the battery runs out.

I have tried to force a restore by holding the home key and placing the USB cable to it, iTunes then starts to download the software but during this process, the iTunes logo on the screen of the iPad times out so when the download on iTunes is complete it no longer recognizes the iPad as being connected.

I called apple support who basically told me all he would do is tell me to do what I have already done, I only called to see if there was anything else they could offer by way of help. They booked me an appointment to see an Apple Genius today at 2.30pm (2.45 hours time).

My question is, my iPad 2 is jailbroken on iOS 5.0 with absynth, will Apple be able to see this information in anyway if the iPad cannot restore or turn on beyond the apple logo on the screen? I need to know before I go to save myself the embarrassment of being turned away. It's not even a year old.

It wont restore, It wont plug in to iTunes or be recognized in anyway if a USB cable is inserted (Aside from the holding down of the home key and getting it to restore via iTunes which it times out on) I used to be able to plug it in and something would appear on the task bar of my PC to tell me I had plugged it in but this time, nothing. So the question is, will apple know if it has been jailbroken if there is no way to get it to work? The Apple support guy seemed to believe the Apple Genius's will do the same as what I have done as well. Is this true, or is there anything else they can do?

Anyone even know why my iPad did this? I was messaging a friend on iMessage the screen just went black as if it had crashed and then the apple logo appeared and nothing since!

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Being less than a year old you are still under AppleCare, but being jailbroken might mean they have a way out of doing any warranty work. I know it's not illegal to jailbreak your iOS devices anymore, but Apple might still see it as voiding your warranty by changing the software that came with the device and any harm caused (be it related or not) can be blamed on the jailbreak..

The easiest thing of course is to take malfunctioning devices with Apple software to the Genius, taking a jailbroken device is an easy out for them, but you don't have the option of restoring it so I'll let others who might have taken into jailbroken devices to the Apple store to chime in here..

OP
T
Reaction score
The most important question I need answering is if the device won't turn on, will not be recognised in iTunes, will apple know its jailbroken and is there any way of them getting this information from what is, essentially, completely unusable?

OP
T
Reaction score
Well I answered my own question. No he did not see it was Jailbroken, However he did get it working again.

He said he bricked it? (Someone wanna explain what that means) and then reinstalled the software. I am curious to know what he did that I didn't do.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In the context of these devices, bricking means to somehow mess up the software such that it doesn't load or function, essentially becoming a brick.

The Apple Geniuses must have access to software that can restore a bricked/broken unit beyond what iTunes can do on a computer, so that's great..

OP
T
Reaction score
Well I was very surprised he came out with my iPad and said he got it working again. I had resigned myself to the fact that I was gonna lose a lot of data stored within apps which doesn't back up, but when I tried to force a restore last night I realised quite quickly this was more serious than I had predicted. My major concern was that they would see the Jailbreak and refuse to deal with it and leave me with a bit of expensive junk. Luckily it was fixable.

C

chas_m

Actually what the Genius meant to say was that YOU bricked it.

Translation: he saw that you had jailbroken it, but decided to help you anyway even though Apple's policy is that they aren't responsible for fixing units that are jailbroken.

You got very lucky there. Something to keep in mind for the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.