Boot Camp Problems - cant find answer in the guide

Reaction score
so ive been trying all day to try and get a windows partition on my hard drive. i have a legal digital copy of windows 7 which i read on here somewhere that i can just burn the download onto a disc and that boot camp should read that as the installing disc. i do the partition, and then i insert the disc, and hit start installation. it shuts down and then reboots to the grey screen, and then instead of going to the windows installing, it goes to the black screen saying "no bootable device -- please insert boot disc and hit any key" the disc is already in there. i have no idea what so ever to do. please help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell us what format the downloaded version is in? Is it an executable file or is it an iso? If it's an executable, you'll have to run it on a Windows machine in order to get the iso. If the download is already an iso, make sure you're burning it to disk correctly. An iso file can not be copied to a disk, it must be burned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How did you burn it?

Did you use Burn disk from Image in Disk Utility? or did you just burn the ISO file onto a disk? (you need to do the former)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
In that case you just have a DVD with a single ISO file on it.

Burning using the burn image facility in disk utility with burn the contents of the ISO disk image to the DVD.

Let us know how you get on and make sure you have the driver package downloaded from the Bootcamp wizard copied to a pen drive of cd/dvd ready for once Windows is installed

OP
A
Reaction score
thank you so much for the help guys. sorry i didnt get back but it turns out it was the disk utility problem. =\ thank you so much for the replies and the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.