iMac with Accessible Hard Drive

Reaction score
What's the probability of Apple putting out an iMac with an accessible hard drive? I would love to be able to swap out my hard drive without having to remove the screen. While I'm not thrilled by the idea of Apple getting rid of the optical drive, if this area could be used for a replaceable hard drive (not unlike the method used on a PS3, actually), it would be worth the loss of a built in DVD player (in my opinion).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Probably very slim to none chance of that happening.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a rumor or report. Thread move here to the Desktops forum.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What's the probability of Apple putting out an iMac with an accessible hard drive? I would love to be able to swap out my hard drive without having to remove the screen.

Go back about 5-7 years. Flat panel iMac HD's back then could be swapped without removing the display!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Go back about 5-7 years. Flat panel iMac HD's back then could be swapped without removing the display!;)

I'd think that being able to swap hard drive would now be relevant than ever: we're in that transitional phase between HDD and SSD, so it makes a lot of sense that someone would buy an iMac with just an HDD (because SSDs are still too small and too expensive to make for a good main hard drive), and then replace the HDD with an SSD in a year or two.

I just don't see a 256GB hard drive being worth an extra $500 (which is what I think Apple was charging the last time I looked); best to wait until SSDs offer something more reasonable at a more reasonable price. Also, HDDs do wear out and it would nice to not be forced to completely dissemble a computer just in order to replace a hard drive.

If I had my preference (not that it matters), I'd say put in two drives: one very small SSD for booting which could be buried anywhere in the machine, and an accessible bay for an additional HDD/SSD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.