Macbook Pro Screen Issues!

Reaction score
I've got an A1278 - 13" 2009 Macbook Pro, aluminum case with black keyboard.

So yesterday I opened the lid the computer has an 1-1/2" stripe running vertically down the right center of the screen. It "flashes" stripes of all colors, black, white, green, blue, etc. But the strange part is if I slightly "twist" the lid the screen functions normally. I mean just barely put pressure enough to warp it at the top of either side. I've been working all day with some serious psychedelic things happening and I'm trying to decide if it's the screen or just something knocked loose. I really don't want to buy a new one, but I don't want to put $500 into the old one...

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it a simple fix or a new screen in the future? What caused this (how can I do something different to keep this from happening again)? Any help is appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We've had quite a few folks report the same symptoms as you. It happens on MacBooks also. It usually turns out to be a case of cable pinch. There are numerous cables that snake their way from the logic board up through the hinge area and finally to the display.

What may be happening is that one of the cables is being pinched or pulled too tight when the lid is moved in a certain way. That can temporarily dislodge (slightly) a cable from its connector causing the weird symptoms you described.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual with your model number on hand and look up the take apart instructions. You may be able to fix the problem yourself if the machine is no longer under warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.