Switching to iCloud

Reaction score
Hi
Just joined the forum . . have a Mac Pro 3.1 tower with Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz . . . I am assuming that I can't run iCloud with this year and model of Mac. I understand (rightly or wrongly!) I have two options . . upgrade to Lion or I can move from mobile.me to iCloud aand use manually. If my assumptions are correct, any advice which way to go other than the cost of the software upgrade. Also has Apple worked out most of the iCloud issues that have prevalent since it's inception?
I basically use my setup only for email and FCS. Have an iMac for everyday use.
thanks for any advice!

C

chas_m

This post has more incorrect assumptions than I've seen in such a compact space in quite a while. Let's see:

1. Don't know why you think you can't run iCloud.
2. No, those aren't your options.
3. The "cost" of the software upgrade? You mean the $30? Seriously?
4. What issues? There haven't been any "prevalent" issues. There have been some users who had some issues on their machines (like every other product or service on the web).

If you want to keep you Mobile Me email, then you need to upgrade to iCloud before June 30th (free). To do this, you should upgrade your Mac Pro to Lion ($30, must have Snow Leopard first but I assume you already do).

That's it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Chas_M . . appreciate the informative reply. Had read some posts where there were some issues with moving to iCloud but upon further searching today after I posted, it seems most of those issues have disappeared since last fall/early spring. Still noted some issue with emails as late as March so thus my basic questions.

C

chas_m

I have heard of short outages on iCloud that affected small groups of users, but nothing major. I myself have had no issues with it beyond a little syncing confusion when I first switched over. As far as I can tell, I've never had any issues with Mail and iCloud.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.