I want my original Mac settings back

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm new here and am more than likely to have posted this is the wrong place...!

Basically, I was trying to do some fun stuff with my Mac...

I forgot what I did, and suddenly everywhere Menu dropdowns when I hover over them are white and can't be read...You have move your pointer on to some other option and read it and then get back on it and click it...

Afterwhich, I installed a theme for my Mac thinking I would get whole new look and probably would resolve this issue...I wished I'd never tampered with anything! As a new Mac user, I am not sure how to just get rid of this theme and go back to my original? I've looked at all of these 'Mac Theme Installer' programs - Magnifique etc - But none of them give me the option to uninstall the current theme...

Another problem is it had an iTunes mod, which is causing it to crash...Its not at all opening...I am getting a message - to change the volume, drag the slider at the top of the itunes window...After pressing OK, it shuts down...

I have Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 and would really appreciate it if somebody could supply me with a quick fix to this?

I should mention that I didn't change the theme through a 'theme changer' program - I just downloaded a file and in unzipped - I then ran the file and it talked me through a quick installation and voila - It was changed...

But like I say, any help I would appreciate greatly as I am a perfectionist!

This is where I had downloaded the theme from (if this helps) - neon MAC OS X GUIKIT by ~MrToNeR on deviantART

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
re install osx.
using your osx disk, boot up your mac when the chime sounds press option key to get to your osx disk and install from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You will probably have to reinstall OS X. Themes can do anything from work, to completely screw up your computer, especially if they aren't for your specific OS version.

Unless you have a backup from before you tried the theme, you are probably out of luck as I don't think any of the theme installers have a way to go back to the original files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You can also try creating a new user. When its done the new user gets all the Apple default settings. Then you can transfer important data from the old user and delete the account. This would only work if the theme is installed only for a single user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can also try creating a new user. When its done the new user gets all the Apple default settings. Then you can transfer important data from the old user and delete the account. This would only work if the theme is installed only for a single user.

Unfortunately, this won't work. The themes don't replace preference files. They overwrite system UI files. If you look at a finder window, all of the buttons and such are individual files hidden away. The themes overwrite these files so that the computer will load up the new "fancy" images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Unfortunately, this won't work. The themes don't replace preference files. They overwrite system UI files. If you look at a finder window, all of the buttons and such are individual files hidden away. The themes overwrite these files so that the computer will load up the new "fancy" images.

Sounds like re-instsalling is the best option.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks a lot for the response...

I know re-installing would help me, but currently I am out of country and I don't have access to my installation disk...

Is there any other way I could resolve this issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can restore from a backup from before you applied the themes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.