Back of White MacBook Hinge Area Cracking

Reaction score
So I had my MacBook open while it was on top of my pillow, and since I have no bed frame right now, my bed is on the ground. I went to lay down, and like a seesaw, my white MacBook reflexed of the pillow and landed 2 inches on the floor. The screen is now hard to close because there are 2 hairline cracks on each side of each hinge. What now? I am out of warranty! How much is this to fix, and can Apple fix this? I would love to replace the entire body of this MacBook, because it has it's share of scratches on it from my years of use.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sounds more like your MB got catapulted.

Best bet is to make an appointment with the Apple store and have them take a look at it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How much is this to fix, and can Apple fix this?

Certainly Apple can fix this...just about anything can be fixed. But it's going to cost a lot more than you think. Most white MacBooks (at most) are only worth about $450...maybe $500. If it's an older MacBook version (2006, 2007)...it may only be worth $300 (maybe less in it's current condition).

The top case alone (the part with the keyboard & trackpad)...costs about $160-$175 bucks + installation.

Here's an example of most of the parts that are available. So cost would depend on what parts you need...and if you need to have them installed:

MacBook 13" 2 GHz (Santa Rosa) Parts - iFixit

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your replies. Looks like I'm going to need this:

MacBook Rear Display Bezel (922-7400, 922-7898, 922-7597, 922-7899) - iFixit

But it says no iSight part or w/e

:(

Why would you need the iSight part?...it's not broken (at least your earlier post didn't say the iSight camera was broken). All you mentioned was cracked plastic around the hinge area.

You also didn't say EXACTLY which MacBook model you have. The link I provided above was just to give you an idea of what some of the parts cost...they may not be the parts you need...since you may have a different model MacBook.

MacBooks were made from 2006-2010...so there are a number of different models (some models share the same parts...and some don't).

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I', sorry for the lack of details. I purchase a white 13'' White Macbook (with the iSign cam at the top middle), in I believe 2010. What should I do? I don't want the cracking to get worse, and I have no Apple Care. Please help.

Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I', sorry for the lack of details. I purchase a white 13'' White Macbook (with the iSign cam at the top middle), in I believe 2010. What should I do? I don't want the cracking to get worse, and I have no Apple Care. Please help.

Thank you.

You can do a number of things:

1. I don't know how bad it is (photos would help):)...but you could just leave it alone...and be VERY careful how you handle it.
2. Buy the parts & repair it yourself.
3. Go to the Apple Store & have them repair it (expensive)...or at least get an estimate.
3. Go to an independent computer repair place (that is hopefully a Macintosh certified repair shop)...have them repair it...or at least get an estimate.

Your call,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Mine has fallen from a lot higher then that and has not done things like that sounds like it hit just right to do that. Try looking at repairing it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
repairing it yourself would be cheapest, but it is not that easy. You would have to disassemble the laptop, then remove the bezel on the screen, then remove the screen (be careful of the cables, they are easy to damage), then remove everything else and move it over. This part is not extremely hard, the hardest part would probally be attaching the screen Assembly back onto the base, those wires never fit the same way.

A very cheap temporary repair is just superglue. It is not recommended, but if you are really cheap or don't feel like opening it it would work. Just fill in the cracks with superglue and let sit for an hour or however long the bottle says to complete dry, leave the lid open to give it that shape again. the reason it is hard to close it the hinge is not getting enough force to close because the crack is right at the edge.

OP
D
Reaction score
So, it's not as bad as I thought. It closes just fine, not that I slam it shut or anything, & it's only on one side. The other one is slightly smaller. What do you guys think?

efkm4x.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, it's not as bad as I thought. It closes just fine, not that I slam it shut or anything, & it's only on one side. The other one is slightly smaller. What do you guys think?

It's pretty similar to what I have seen before a number of times. My wife's MacBook has a similar crack (we bought it used).

This sort of thing almost always happens when the display is opened beyond it's design limitations...then something has got to give. Of course dropping a MacBook with the display open doesn't help either!;)

I would say be very careful/gentle when you open & close the display...and by no means try to open the display further than it's designed to be opened. Otherwise this crack will grow larger & larger until it does become a problem.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick. I know I am out of warranty, but how much do you think Apple will charge to fix or replace this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Nick. I know I am out of warranty, but how much do you think Apple will charge to fix or replace this?

Too much! Without exploring things too deeply...I would estimate at least $200 (maybe more depending on if more than one part is needed).

Your MacBook is probably worth about $400-$500...so a $200+ repair is certainly a BIG chunk of it's total value...that you will never recover.

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. If you really want to separate yourself from this computer (due to the crack)...just sell it for $400...and purchase something newer.

OP
D
Reaction score
Great read, man. Thanks! I'm thinking I should sell it on Craigslist, hoping to get at least $550. I DJ, so I definitely need to invest, & WILL invest in a new Macbook Pro.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great read, man. Thanks! I'm thinking I should sell it on Craigslist, hoping to get at least $550.

$550 may be pushing it...but you never know!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.