iPhone will see network but MBP will not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" late 2011 / iP 6s / iPP 9.7"
I have an older Billion ADSL+2 router. I have a wireless network set-up which my MBP connects to without trouble. However, the other day a friend came around with an iPhone.
They could connect to the network outside the house - some distance from the router. Yet my MBP at the same location will not.

Is this common? Can I enhance my MBP to connect at greater distances etc?

Also;
I have the ESSID broadcast disabled - as added security. My MBP does not see the network, but the iPhone found it. Is that common or do I need to make some changes to my MBP?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have the ESSID broadcast disabled - as added security. My MBP does not see the network, but the iPhone found it. Is that common or do I need to make some changes to my MBP?

Turn on the SSID as that will help your MBP to connect. The changes need to be made within your router not the MBP. The best security for your wireless network is to use WPA2 encryption. Turning off the SSID essentially offers nothing to protect you.

OP
Blazbo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" late 2011 / iP 6s / iPP 9.7"
Cheers Chscag
- will turn on SSID and already have WAP2 selected.

Had the SSID disabled so that passersby would not see it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.