Odd Freezing Issue (Already tried the obvious)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad-core 2.2ghz i7, 8gb DDR3, 128GB SSD+750GB 2nd HDD, 1680x1050
Ok guys and gals, I have an odd one for you.

First off, a preface:

I am an apple certified mac tech (ACMT). I know enough about my mac to rule out most of what could be tried by myself, a service provider, and or Apple, itself. This is what I'm working with: Macbook Pro 15, 2.2ghz i7, 8gb, 128ssd+750gb HDD, 1680x1050. 10.7.3 with all updates as of 4/30/12. (C02FX07PDF91).

Ok. So here's the problem. This happens anywhere from twice a day to twice a month. There seems to be no real pattern to the issue. I can be browsing the Internet, using an app (pretty much any semi-intensive app or higher has done this so far), playing a game (I frequent World of Warcraft). I haven't gotten it to happen while watching TV or movies (via Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, etc).

My machine will slowly start to freeze up. I first notice it when I try to do something small like open a new tab in my browser. After finding that doens't work, I try to close it. It never closes. I try to force quit. Force quit will hang. By this time everything is pretty much non-responsive except I see my status lights (from an app I have) on my menu bar doing what they normally do when I'm idling (almost always idle with a touch of activity here and there) and I watch my clock tick away. By this time the only way to recover is to power cycle. When I reboot, I head for my logs. No Kernel Panic log data and the system logs magically stopped recording entries at the time it first starting going down.

This prompted me to whip out my ASD (3S144 to be exact) for my mac. I ran ALL hardware tests on it over a period of 9 hours and NOTHING revealed itself. I was almost certain it was my primary hard drive. After 9 hours of off again and on again writing to it (about one full test cycle every 40 minutes), I was quite disappointed to see it was working fine. Turns out my memory is still good too. So I ran the OS tests. All of those passed, too, over 9 hours non-stop.

I'm stumped because I can almost guarantee it to happen if I was to do something like Install Photoshop from scratch that requires a lot of work from the processor and hard drive to do. It almost always freezes at the low 40s, if not then the 60s in terms of percentage of completion.

The only thing I haven't done is re-install my OS. I don't want to use my Time Machine backup because it's been going on for several months (and I've gotten used to it) so if it's an OS issue, my Time Machine won't go back far enough (I started using it after my issue started).

Any thoughts or ideas? Throw them at me, please!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
hi jonathan,
i guess you run os lion? if so - you can go to recovery and just replace the system files.
i have something similar strange going on: once i connect my macbook with the thunderbolt display and work a bit the mouse stucks, e.g. i´m on the left already while the mouse is still on the right. apple care, genius bar and whatever i could consult didnt help much. right now i try to figure out if it has something to do with a program. and that is what i blame. it sounds to me like it is the same for you - do you have e.g. an addition to itunes installed? i had tune up and i think it got better once i got rid of it. such as your problem i can't really say it´s this or that.
it seems to me as well that my problem might also have to do with photoshop. but i don't use it, it´s just open. i need to restart the machine before it gets better. so you see some connections we have - for me it´s just the mouse, for you the whole computer.
i know that wasn't a big help but what i think is that it is a program mix - e.g. tune up with photoshop. maybe for you it´s similar? best is to write down what you have open and see which programs could interact

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
The only thing that struck me was your SSD plus HDD arrangement - how did you setup those two (clone/fresh install), any symlinks maybe? Is it a standard apple SSD?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi jonathan,
i guess you run os lion? if so - you can go to recovery and just replace the system files.
i have something similar strange going on: once i connect my macbook with the thunderbolt display and work a bit the mouse stucks, e.g. i´m on the left already while the mouse is still on the right. apple care, genius bar and whatever i could consult didnt help much. right now i try to figure out if it has something to do with a program. and that is what i blame. it sounds to me like it is the same for you - do you have e.g. an addition to itunes installed? i had tune up and i think it got better once i got rid of it. such as your problem i can't really say it´s this or that.
it seems to me as well that my problem might also have to do with photoshop. but i don't use it, it´s just open. i need to restart the machine before it gets better. so you see some connections we have - for me it´s just the mouse, for you the whole computer.
i know that wasn't a big help but what i think is that it is a program mix - e.g. tune up with photoshop. maybe for you it´s similar? best is to write down what you have open and see which programs could interact

Thanks for the tips. I bought it with Snow Leopard in time for the free Lion upgrade, and did so via the App Store the day it came out. Never recovered anything from the recovery partition, though. I'll give that a shot tonight and see what happens. For all I know it could take days to determine of it's resolved or not (I don't have any of the usual suspects on hand). There really never seems to be a pattern that I can discern. It happens with third-party apps, it happens with Apple apps. In the background all I have is Google Drive (new addition after this started), my activity lights, Sophos for Mac, and Dropbox. Sophos and Dropbox arrived in the beginning but the timeline doesn't match so they're not high suspects. Beyond that, not much ever runs. I have all this RAM and nothing to use it with, lol.

The only thing that struck me was your SSD plus HDD arrangement - how did you setup those two (clone/fresh install), any symlinks maybe? Is it a standard apple SSD?

I replaced the DVD drive with a 2nd hard drive for storage. I have the original 128GB SSD it shipped with when I bought it BTO. It's a 750GB WD Caviar Black. Like the apps I have that I've had since the beginning, adding this drive didn't cause these problems to happen based on the time line not matching up. And in regards to symlinks, there has never been anything OS related on my second drive. I keep no programs or games on it (I can fit all of my goodies on my SSD). I use it for my 200gb iTunes library (lots of shows and Digital Copy movies) and my photography.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
I'm betting it's Sophos

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm betting it's Sophos

So far as I can tell, it looks like it was Sophos, which seems odd that the issues didn't crop up at the same time Sophos was installed.

Oh well. it is what it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.