Moving files from old macbook pro

Reaction score
so I just purchased a 2010 macbook pro and I want to move all my stuff over to it from my 2006 macbook pro. Both are running 10.6.8. I made a disc image of my macintosh HD on an external drive, now I'm trying to figure out how to get that disc image over to the new computer without completely screwing my "new" computer up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use Time Machine rather than a disk image to migrate everything from your old MBP to the new one. Otherwise, manually copy what you need from the external hard drive to the newer MBP.

Edit: And please do not cross post. Post to one forum and continue with that thread. Your cross post to the "Other Hardware" forum has been removed.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I have absolutely no experience using time machine. I already created a disc image, but if I use time machine can I only transfer what I want to transfer like my music? am I able to plug in the drive to the new macbook and "re-load" all my user information? my passwords and bookmarks?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine will transfer everything over unless you selectively exclude what you don't want. It's probably easier to move things over manually as I suggested above.

C

chas_m

And we don't want to use Migration Assistant, an app built specifically for this purpose, because ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.