White MacBook 2009 Upgrade

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I'm interested in upgrading the GPU in my 2009 White MacBook. I would really like to get the GeForce 9600M GS. I've upgraded the RAM to 4GB and thats all. Here's the specs; Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.51f53
Serial Number (system): 450120068PW
Hardware UUID: 21430A2F-6293-5DCB-9EAE-9C44F31EEE9D
Lemme know if this will work. I dont see why I wouldn't unless there's no space in the computer. If that will not work can someone recommend a new GPU kind of geared for gaming? I'm not doing Battlefield 3 just like StarCraft and Call of Duty. Anyway thanks guys
-O

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey Everyone

I'm interested in upgrading the GPU in my 2009 White MacBook. I would really like to get the GeForce 9600M GS.

Can't do it. The graphics hardware on a MacBook (just like almost all Windows laptops)...is integrated into the logic board. If you need/want better graphics hardware...you need a new computer.

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Can't do it. The graphics hardware on a MacBook (just like almost all Windows laptops)...is integrated into the logic board. If you need/want better graphics hardware...you need a new computer.

- Nick

Is there a GPU you could recommend? I'm really interested in Star Craft II and would love to play it with out getting a new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can't. The GPU in the MacBook is not replaceable. It is part of the logic board. It doesn't remove like on a typical PC desktop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there a GPU you could recommend? I'm really interested in Star Craft II and would love to play it with out getting a new computer.

When you say is there a GPU I would recommend...do you mean as part of a new or newer computer?

Have you checked the minimum system requirements & recommended system requirements from Blizzard?...I did:

StarCraft II System Requirements - Battle.net Support

Blizzard recommends (from a laptop standpoint) a GeForce 9600M GT. This video hardware was available on MacBook Pro's all the way back in 2008. So most video hardware on MacBook Pro's since 2008 is likely to be even better.

Your white MacBook from 2009 probably has the GeForce 9400M video hardware...so you want something better than that (which the GeForce 9600M GT or better would be).

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score

- Nick

When you say is there a GPU I would recommend...do you mean as part of a new or newer computer?

Have you checked the minimum system requirements & recommended system requirements from Blizzard?...I did:

StarCraft II System Requirements - Battle.net Support

Blizzard recommends (from a laptop standpoint) a GeForce 9600M GT. This video hardware was available on MacBook Pro's all the way back in 2008. So most video hardware on MacBook Pro's since 2008 is likely to be even better.

Your white MacBook from 2009 probably has the GeForce 9400M video hardware...so you want something better than that (which the GeForce 9600M GT or better would be).

- Nick

So yeah I checked the minimum requirements and it met so I guess I can go ahead, but the only reason was, was I kinda wanted to perform a bigger upgrade on it but whatever. Thanks for all your help Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.