AVG Killed my Photostream Help!

Reaction score
I ran a virus scan with AVG that found a Trojan and two generic virus. I erased them, and when I did that, some box came up saying I had no permission to do something.
Anyway, when I restarted the computer, my photo stream stopped working to my pc.

I works on my iphone, pictures no longer load to my pc photostream photo and now I have to do it manually. One of the main reasons I like this phone is the photostream and I need to work.

I have erased Itunes and Icloud and re-installed with no luck. I have reset photostream with no luck. I now wonder if one of those virus was not really a virus at all but some key component to photostream?

Help!! I have no idea how to fix this, neither does anyone I know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Do you use a backup? If so a clean install and run the backup program maybe the shot. No backup maybe bad, bad news. We all need an external drive backing up our system software these days.

There are no Mac OS X viruses so who knows what AVG found and/or did? Most experienced Mac users here do not use antivirus software, however if you fell you must use ClamXAV.

OP
A
Reaction score
I do not have it backed up:( My main computer is not Apple. My Mcaffee Virus protection ran out so I installed AVG and found that , then photo stream just stopped working.

I am so mad. I just bought this computer a year and a half ago. Next tine I buy a puter will be a MAC. I soo hate connecting the phone to the computer to load my photos. I sell a lot on ebay and it is cumbersome.

I wonder if I format the drive and then reload windows and start over if it will work again.
Im at a complete loss as to why it stopped working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hard luck.

Formatting the drive will wipe it clean alas. Whether you use a Mac or a Windows PC, you do need a backup of your files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, in the future I would avoid AVG and install MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) instead. I have always found AVG to be a resource hog and slow to provide updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try reinstalling iCloud control panel through apple software update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
When running Windows, I never had an issue running AVG in terms of resources and such. I never had it set to run at a set time, and only ran it manually once in a while. But the first thing one should know when running ANY anti virus software, is the difference between a viable trojan/virus and a false positive.

Unfortunately, most people choose to believe their AV software everytime it farts, which usually leads to such poor results. I wouldn't be so quick to proclaim Windows as the main problem here, but what is done is done. Try to uninstall every bit of anything Apple related, fix that futzy registry if need be and re-install what you need. It's possible that you hadn't caught everything needed to be uninstalled on the first try.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.