What type of screen do I need?

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro screen recently died. My laptop has been on its way out for a while now.

My dad has a 2011 iMac 27 inch screen that I can use for my Photoshop work and I just got an ipad to use for general stuff.

However I have noticed this past week since I started using them, both of these my eyes start to ache/get tired very quickly. I don't know if this is a case of getting used to the different screens or because they are newer models and different to my old screen. I have tried turning down the brightness but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My Macbook Pro is a 15 inch screen, bought in 2008. Its all silver and doesn't have the black rim around the screen. It says on the box it has a TFT widescreen display. It certainly doesn't look as glossy as the new computers. I've been trying to search online what exactly has changed about the design but I don't really understand a lot of it - though I have come across a couple of threads where other people have complained about eye strain with the monitors.

Can anyone here help me out? What type of screen did I have before? Is there something about the new screens that is likely to be bothering my eyes and when I come to invest in a new laptop - what model or screen do I need to opt for? I spend a lot of time on the computer doing photoshop work so I need a screen that not only doesn't bother my eyes but is also good for artwork colour wise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I may use a computer a lot but I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff. :Blushing:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As you noticed, the newer displays on the iMac and iPad are of a higher resolution and are much brighter and therefore more glossy than that of your older MBP.

I recently went from a 2008 MB to a 2011 iMac and noticed the difference right away. However, it doesn't seem to bother my eyes as it does with some other folks.

It may take awhile for you to become accustomed to the newer and brighter displays or you may need to wear computer glasses to cut down the brightness and glare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.