For those of you running Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
It is a RAM hog like Lion is?? I'm thinking about a MBA and I'm worried that 4 Gig of Ram is not enough and it's not upgradeable since it's soldered onto the board. I'll be waiting for the release of the Ivy Bridge MBA, but I'm just curious in the meantime

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Members legally using ML as developers are not supposed to release information as no doubt the final cat will be a fair bit different to the one they are testing now.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Gosh, not trying to get state secrets, just a general idea.

OK, I'll ask another way that's hopefully legal. For those of you running Lion on a MBA, are you having any spinning wheels with just 4 gigs of RAM? I know I had to bump my Mini up to 8 GB to aid performance with Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Gosh, not trying to get state secrets, just a general idea.

As Harry stated, those who are beta testing ML are under NDA. You also posted this in the wrong forum. Not a switcher topic. Moved here to the "OS X Operating System" forum.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Lion was a "RAM hog" in the first place. Until a week ago I was running Lion just fine on a 2007 BlackBook with 3GB of RAM. On my MBP now I have 8GB of RAM and yes of course that makes a bit of difference but so far I've been more "wowed" by the upgrade in graphics card than what the RAM has done for me.

Now had you said "geez, SAFARI's a bit of RAM hog when you leave it open all day, isn't it?" I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I haven't seen any evidence so far that Lion is a "RAM hog" compared to anything else (previous versions of OS X or Windows, I mean. Don't know anything much about Linux RAM usage so I can't say).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.