Is this alright?

Reaction score
Hey all -

Hope all is well with everyone. I was curious with something. Every time I wake my computer up from sleep mode, the screen below always pop's up. Is it ok, that this keeps happening? Is there something I could do to prevent this from happening? or is it normal?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Screen Shot 2012-04-30 at 9.51.24 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Perfectly normal. As the window says...it's asking you which network you want to join (assuming you have access).

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Perfectly normal. As the window says...it's asking you which network you want to join (assuming you have access).

- Nick

Yeah I have access, one of those on there is my own private wifi? So I was wondering why the computer does't know to go to the same one all the time. Being new to the mac world and coming from a windows based system, never had that issue before. On windows it always "knew" to go to the right one. Thank you so much for your response.

Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Have you actually connected to the network that's yours? As in selected your network and correctly entered your password? Once you do that, you shouldn't be prompted to connect to a Wi-Fi network every time you wake the computer up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try this, Open System Preferences, Network, WiFi, then click on Advanced. Drag your Wifi to the top of the list and be sure there is a check box by "Remember Networks this Computer had Joined".

OP
H
Reaction score
I did it at the initial set up. When I chose the network that is mine, it automatically goes through. no password necessary. But if someone comes to my house and wants to use my wifi I would have to give them the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
But if someone comes to my house and wants to use my wifi I would have to give them the password.

That is normal. You won't need to enter your network password once you've done it because your Mac remembers. Someone visiting you for the first time would have to enter it to connect to your network.

Aside from moving your network to the top of the list, are there other networks in that list that you don't need? You could try deleting all networks in the list except for your own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.