I think my 2009 MacBook pro is done :(

Reaction score
Ok well I was browsing the Internet and I had this USB cord stripped on the end opposite of the USB and I used it to charge this old flip cell phone I had, it worked fine but that I used it to charge my droid razr and I got two errors one was a USB malfunction and than a high power consumption error and as soon as I got the second one my computer shut off. I tried turning it back on but the hard drive would make this weird noise and turn back off. No screen, no optical drive noise, and no fan. I tried resetting smc that didn't work and also tried the pram and tried moving the ram around and tested the ram that wasn't the problem. Is this my logic board?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok well I was browsing the Internet and I had this USB cord stripped on the end opposite of the USB and I used it to charge this old flip cell phone I had, it worked fine but that I used it to charge my droid razr ...

Can you explain in more details what this "stripped USB cord" is?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Can you explain in more details what this "stripped USB cord" is?

- Nick

Basically it's just a low voltage stripp Motorola phone charger I stripped it to expose red and black (positive and negative) wires. Connected it to my phone and than my computer to charge it. And computer crashed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd guess the USB cable shorted and fried the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
That's it? Thanks for the advice...

From what you've said about what happened, that would be my conclusion. There isn't much more you can do to diagnose the issue. Most likely, the logic board has been fried, and to replace it, is going to cost you $$$$, probably more than the computer is worth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.