used eMac won't turn on at all

Reaction score
I picked up a 2002 eMac at a yard sale. It has no RAM (I'm hoping I have a stick or two that it'll accept), but my main problem is that it won't turn on. I've plugged it in using multiple cables and outlets that I know work, and it does nothing. The power button may be stuck - I'm not sure how much it should go in, but just the bottom half-ish of mine goes in very slghtly. I know it's receiving power, as when I plug it in, I can hear the fuzz of electricity in it (especially if I press an ear to the screen). I've tried the pmu reset button. Did I buy a 50 pound paperweight, or is there anything I can do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a very old machine (10 years old) and very likely has a bad power supply. Those machines were especially prone to bad power supplies, particularly the electrolytic capacitors.

If you would really like to dig in and repair it, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart instructions. Also keep in mind that the CRT monitor may not be working very well either. So unless you're prepared to spend some money on repairs, you might want to pass on it.

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks. just looked and saw no teardown guides (I'll dig around elsewhere), but I did find out I'm missing my PRAM battery. I think I read somewhere that it'll boot without it, but that's one more thing to replace..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure about the Emac but I know some iMacs around that same vintage would NOT power on without the PRAM battery.

OP
G
Reaction score
Alright, I'll try to pick up a PRAM battery soon and try it with that. Fairly sure I'd seen someone say they fixed an eMac using some process involving removing the PRAM battery, booting, then turning it off and putting the battery back, but that was for a different problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks. just looked and saw no teardown guides (I'll dig around elsewhere)...

You NEED to look a bit harder! The link that "chscag" mentioned for iFixit.com DEFINITELY has install guides for the PRAM battery, ram, and Airport card.

Don't give up so easily!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.