Razer Synapse 2.0

Reaction score
Hello

I have a Razer Naga mouse so I need to use the Razer Synapse 2.0 software which is basically the drivers for the mouse..

I have a problem though because the application loads up like this when I login.
wLc7h.jpg

Everytime I login I have to manually close this window, which in my point of view - doesn't need to load as it loads in the menubar.

I understand this program needs to be running in the background which is why it has a menubar icon (which is fine) but I don't understand the need to load the actually application window everytime I login.

I've also checked my startup items and it's not even listed which makes me think it's hidden somewhere in the system.

I've also checked the 3 startup items folders in S/L/Startup Items and /L/Startup Items and /U/Matt/L/Startup Items and I couldn't find anything to do with Razer there.

When I search my whole machine (with hidden files shown) this is all I get.
vOAur.png

This makes me think when I installed this application, it may have written some hidden instruction somewhere to load at startup?

This is weird, especially as I'm new to Mac.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did it install a preference panel under "other" in System Preferences? If it did, open it and check to see if the configuration has been checked off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Did you check Login Items under your account in System Preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2011
Here's how to do it:

Go to /Library/LaunchAgents/

Edit "com.razer.rzupdater.plist" with your favorite text editor

Change <false/> under "onDemand" to <true/>

Done.

This will disable the menu bar item, and the startup of the Synapse app while still loading the engine!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Here's how to do it:

Go to /Library/LaunchAgents/

Edit "com.razer.rzupdater.plist" with your favorite text editor

Change <false/> under "onDemand" to <true/>

Done.

This will disable the menu bar item, and the startup of the Synapse app while still loading the engine!

Cheers!

This works, but on my system (10.8) it prevents "Razer Synapse 2.0.app" from being launched, thus preventing access to the configuration interface. Of course, one could always edit "com.razer.rzupdater.plist" again as needed, but it's a headache.

I wish there was an easier way to do this. Why doesn't Razer just put a checkbox in the app to "hide window on launch"? Until they do, does anyone else have a better solution?

Reaction score
I am reading up on how to write a apple script to automate this, ill post it when I finish it...could be a day or 2 I don't really know what im doing

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with this program too but not so much the program loading as it's an easy cmd+w to close but more to do with the ugly icon which i can't hide in as there is no preferences for the application.

I tried what was said in here but that just stopped the program opening at all.

I just replaced the "Status.png" file in "/Library/Application Support/Razer/RzUpdater.app/Contents/" with a transparent square so that it effectively appears invisible and hides the synapse razer logo.

The screen below is when i took a little screenshot of the toolbar ad replaced the status.png.

screenshot20120815at164.png

Reaction score
Thanks for locating that file. Now, at least, I can get rid of the flashy neon green nonsense in the menubar. (I actually went ahead and just grayscaled the .png file, since I like having the ability to switch profiles and launch the Synapse interface from the menubar.)

It's the gosh darn Synapse interface popping up every time the RzUpdater app is launched that drives me nuts. It's unnecessary. I wish it could be stopped.

Reaction score
My problem is that the tracking settings aren't loaded even though the app and the window loads on startup. Anyone know how to fix this?

And I too would like the option of not having neither icon nor window load on startup. I hate that these options aren't given in the preferences. Why didn't they just make a preference pane instead? I'm seriously thinking about returning the mouse and getting a magic mouse instead..

Reaction score
This works, but on my system (10.8) it prevents "Razer Synapse 2.0.app" from being launched, thus preventing access to the configuration interface. Of course, one could always edit "com.razer.rzupdater.plist" again as needed, but it's a headache.

I wish there was an easier way to do this. Why doesn't Razer just put a checkbox in the app to "hide window on launch"? Until they do, does anyone else have a better solution?

Guys, you do not need to edit "com.razer.rzupdater.plist" any time you want to launch the app. The only thing you need to do after you changed <false/> under "onDemand" to <true/> in "com.razer.rzupdater.plist", as raven01 suggested, is just to launch /Library/Application Support/Razer/RzUpdater.app anytime you want to run Razer Synapse 2.0 App. If you tired from going to Library folder every time, just create a shortcut.

Anyway, here is a full guide to solve this annoying problem:
1) Go to /Library/LaunchAgents/
2) Edit "com.razer.rzupdater.plist": change <false/> under "onDemand" to <true/>
3) Now Razer Synapse 2.0 does not launch at startup and you finally may say no to this annoying interface window every time you switch on your Mac. It is worth mentioning that now when you plug in your mouse, your default configuration will be active. However, now you are not able to change the configuration (you simply cannot launch Razer Synapse 2.0 manually from Applications and change profiles, preferences, etc.)
4) To be able to launch Razer Synapse 2.0 and get your configurations back, you simply need to run /Library/Application Support/Razer/RzUpdater.app. Now you have your Synapse fully working! If you tired from going to the Library folder anytime you want to get your mouse configuration, just simply create a shortcut for RzDeviceEngine.app.

Hope this helped! :)

Reaction score
Razer Status Icon

I've been having a problem with this program too but not so much the program loading as it's an easy cmd+w to close but more to do with the ugly icon which i can't hide in as there is no preferences for the application.

I tried what was said in here but that just stopped the program opening at all.

I just replaced the "Status.png" file in "/Library/Application Support/Razer/RzUpdater.app/Contents/" with a transparent square so that it effectively appears invisible and hides the synapse razer logo.

The screen below is when i took a little screenshot of the toolbar ad replaced the status.png.

screenshot20120815at164.png

Thanks, and i photoshoped a new icon for the status bar and replace it to /Library/Application Support/Razer/RzUpdater.app/Contents/Resources now it looks perfect :) i have attached a screenshot on my bar + the photoshoped Status.png u guys can download and do it too. Remember after replace, log out and log in again, done.

Screen Shot 2013-05-19 at 6.47.20 PM.png

Status.png

Reaction score
Thanks, and i photoshoped a new icon for the status bar and replace it to /Library/Application Support/Razer/RzUpdater.app/Contents/Resources now it looks perfect :) i have attached a screenshot on my bar + the photoshoped Status.png u guys can download and do it too. Remember after replace, log out and log in again, done.
For some reason my mac won't allow me to use icons with a dpi higher than 72. The icon will just appear super large and cut-off on in the toolbar.
Any thoughts?

Reaction score
2015 Remix - the problem is still there!

I have a Razer Orbweaver customizable keypad, an absolutely lovely piece of hardware with that "good tool feel." Synapse 2 is my only choice for a driver.

On my Macbook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.3, I had similar symptoms to the 2012 thread above:
- Besides the main "Synapse 2.0" app (which displays absolutely microscopic text on a Retina display BTW), there were 2 background apps, RzUpdater and RzDeviceEngine.
- These 2 apps launched on startup whether or not a Razer device was attached, couldn't be stopped in Activity Monitor or disabled in System Preferences, and couldn't even be found in Finder until I read the thread above.
- For me the deal-breaking side effect was HUGE memory leakage: RzUpdater used up 130MB and RzDeviceEngine used up 93MB all the time, even when Synapse wasn't running!
- Razer Support responded quickly but didn't have an answer. Other Web answers seem to be "just chuck it and get something else."

(I should mention I also have a PC. On Win 8.1, Synapse 2 has no extra background apps, takes a reasonable 38MB memory, and can be disabled from launching on start-up via the Task Manager. It loads pretty slowly, but what doesn't?).

Aaanyway: The solution above STILL WORKS but there are now a lot more obstacles to implementing it:
1. Text Editor won't let you change the plist because it "isn't yours" (?!); you can only make a copy and edit the copy.
2. You're also blocked from renaming the original plist.
3. And from naming your edited plist the same as the original and saving it in the Library folder, even if you already moved the original out of there!
4. Practically every time you click something in that folder, it makes you type your admin password AGAIN. Dashlane, which I got to fill in passwords, just sat back and let it happen.
5. You can't add the background apps, which you'll now have to start manually, to Launchpad.

Here's what worked for me:
1. Made duplicates of the plists and changed "false" to "true" in those. (Having trouble finding the folder? Start at "Desktop" and keep "opening enclosing folders" until you get to the hard drive. /Library/ is up there. I guess "All My Files" means something different than I expected).
2. Initially saved my edited plists to Documents instead of a Library folder. If I saved them there, it did let me name them the same as the originals.
3. Moved the *original* plists to a new folder e.g. Documents/RAMhogs.
4. THEN moved my *edited* plists, with the same names as the originals, into Library/LaunchAgents.
5. Opened /Library/Application Support/Razer and dragged the two background apps down to the Dock. They're cluttery but I didn't have any better ideas.

When I restarted, those background apps were gone and everything seemed less burdened. Synapse still wouldn't open by just clicking the icon, but when I opened the two background apps and THEN clicked the icon, it worked!

Got a more elegant way? Would love to hear about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.